Tamawanas

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This is a blend of two shots. One for the water action and a second for snow exposure. It was shot at 1/3 second for the water.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Greg, I like what you saw here. What an awesome scene. The blue tones in the ice and water add to the feeling of coldness and purity. I have two thoughts. Firstly, the highlights in the water and snow look a little hot. I would suggest pulling back on the white point to see if you can recover some details in these areas. Not a deal breaker but from a composition standpoint I find the bottom right feeling a bit cutoff. Obviously you have to work with what’s presented but I think the composition would be a lot stronger with a bit of snow bank to balance out the right side.

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth for the input. Fixing those highlights are easy enough, I sometimes get carried away. Processing snow gets tricky sometimes, something I don’t have a lot of experience in. The comp I picked because the stream’s edge was a little “chewed” up and there were no icicles on the right side of the wall. Since I thought the icicles and the snow were the shot, I shot for the left. So I lined up the stream for that. Unfortunately six inches to the left the stream dropped deeper than I felt comfortable standing in and or I might have been able to bring in the “unchewed” banks.

Nice shot Greg, I love the stream leading to the waterfall, the cold atmosphere and all the nice textures the snow, ice and water create. I would agree with Dave about the highlights, recovering some of the nice textures in the water would create a bit more interest and be less distracting. Also a minor nit about the framing, the waterfall feels slightly too close to the top of the frame IMO.

Thanks @Blake_Randall for the feedback. Highlights I can and will pull back on. What I found out on this shot and the feedback is that the water highlights seem to ironically show more when you have something white like snow in the shot. Unfortunately on this comp I don’t have any shots with more sky. But I have others I will look at.

Love this location! Having been there in these conditions, I’d say that the above advice is pretty good…pull those highlights back to get the detail back in the snow and the water. That said, I also know how vibrant the blue in the water is here. I’d really play with the blue, especially the luminance to see if you can get it to pop just a bit more. Perhaps the overall contrast would help in this way as well.

Great comp, and beautiful way to frame things!

Thanks for the info @Dan_Hawk. I will give it all a try.