Color contrast

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The young bramble grows through the remains of a fallen tree. The wood of the tree is falling apart completely. I made the image because of the contrast between the warm, reddish wood and the fresh green of the plant.

Specific Feedback

Any and all.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk.III, Sigma 2.8/17-70 @63mm, ISO1600, f/8, 1/40s, -1 EV.
RAW conversion in DxO PL6, very little editing except a small contrast increase.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Han. As you said, the color contrast is really nice, but I also like the contrast in textures between the leaves and the wood.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank for your comment. Glad you like it. This is not a conspicuous plant nor an intimate landscape, but I do like the combination of wood and plant for the reasons you mentioned.

I meant to comment on this before, but it slipped away. I like this scene a lot. It shows a bit of how this ecosystem functions and how plants can take advantage of any niche that suits them. Looks like this might be a raspberry type plant, but whatever it is it seems to be thriving. Quite lush and as pointed out before, the contrast in colors and texture is really a treat for the eyes. I do wonder at the flatness of the green in the leaves. Were you using a polarizer? I expect more highlight variation in leaves since so many are shiny and other things appear to be reflecting in the scene (the brown leaves in the lower left). Other than that, I think this is a great forest floor scene and one a lot of people would overlook.

Thanks for the comment, @Kris_Smith .
No, I didn’t use a polarizer. The light was pretty flat under the trees but with some brighter spots. You just see a bit more light at the top of the image, where you can percieve a shadow of the plant. The plant is no raspberry, but a blackberry (or bramble, or whatever you call it). Rubus for the scientist, so definitely a member of the same family as the raspberry.