Colorless Scene

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Summers are quite dry and am waiting for the rains to see some insects. Though spiders have started appearing. This one shot in the evening today, is close to my apartment garden. Used a flash too.

6D2, 180 Tamron @F8

Technical Details

6D2, 180 Tamron

Balan, you managed the lighting on this one nicely with the flash. The spider web looks 3D and gives the impression that the spider is falling down into a tunnel of web. Very well done. I don’t think I have seen that in any other spider and web shot. Probably the placement of the spider in the center of the web that gives that 3D look. Nice.

Ok, clearly I need to do better with flash. This looks absolutely wonderful. Great details and that you lined up the spider with the focal plane so well. That takes a lot of practice. I love the extra zig-zag she put in the web. I forget what those do, but this kind of spider seems to put them in quite a bit.

Lovely shot @Balan_Vinod. Argiope spiders here quite often add the zig-zags in a cross formation around the centre. One theory is that this makes the spider more visible to clumsy creatures that might damage its web. Presumably the insects our spider wants in the web are instead hypnotized into it by this cross! Nice empty background too.