Colors From a Fire

This is along Keswick Lake, two months after the Carr Fire, in northern California. I was taken by the colors after the fire - the muted palette of browns and grays really struck my fancy. They were striking against the gentle reflection of the sky in the lake on this day. Not much survived, but there was just a bit of green coming back around the edge of the lake.

Edit to add re-worked photo.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m always up for comments on composition or processing.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a7, 35mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 400. ![Redding_092918_0181|690x460]

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

At first glance this struck me as a fall colors scene but closer inspection shows the colors have a darker history. I like that you included the power lines and tower which for me emphasizes the man made back story.

Bonnie, this is a fascinating contrast, with the very inviting sky reflection and then noticing the burned shrubbery in the foreground and the bare/burned mountains in the distance. You’ve got a nice sweeping composition. I think some extra dodging of the sky and the distant mountains would be good.

Thanks for the comments, @Todd_Paige and @Mark_Seaver. Mark, I had another look at this in light (ha ha) of your comment, and lightened not only the sky, but the entire image. Since the point of the weekly challenge was to show nature recovering after trauma, I re-edited to emphasize the green around the edge of the lake. I do like the re-worked version better. Thanks for making me think about this photo more.

Bonnie, I like your redo, in spite of the fact that I made an error in my comment. I meant to say burn-in rather than dodge, thinking that similar contrast/brightness in the foreground and the background would be good. Your repost bears that idea out, just in the opposite way of what I was thinking. Now, if only I could get my brain and my typing fingers to coordinate…:rofl:

@Mark_Seaver, that’s funny. I did wonder why you thought the sky should be even lighter, but it did get me thinking. Maybe I’ll do one with the sky darker, too.