Columbia River Gorge & repost

I thought we needed at least one from the Columbia River area.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

iso 100, 17-35 at 20 mm, f16, 1/5th, D750
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Processing the green/yellow color in scenes like this is the bane of my existence. I think you have rendered this very well, David. My initial reaction is to crop the “foreground” but after doing that I think you need a slight CW rotation to “level”.

Beautiful falls and colors, but I am with Adhika on cropping the bottom. It feels a little tweener, kind of cut off as is. That said, it still looks quite good.

For some reason I guess I felt cropping to just above the black foreground rock would leave an uneven balance in the shape of the pool and leave an unfinished appearance. So I very carefully used the patch tool and the move tool to shift things around. I then rotated the image 0.4 degrees CW so the top of the waterfall was horizontal. Is this now more convincing?

The greens here are quite lovely and your chosen SS has created some nice details in the water, David. A little more FG would have been nice, but your last repost works very nicely. Great image.

I guess I’m weird. I actually prefer the original image over the cropped one. The rocks add a frame for the pool of water.
:vulcan_salute:

Well,that was my original thought…

David,

You did a fine job with the second repost, I think it works well. I also think the original was worked well too - especially in giving the pool a more completed look with the various rocks around and at the bottom.

Processing/colors all look great and natural. I don’t know why, but this also makes me think Hawaii… Maybe it’s missing that classic fallen log to make me realize it’s the gorge… :laughing: :roll_eyes:

Lon

It kinda reminds me of a waterfall on the road to Hana on Maui…

I like this, David. A classic splash pool. Very well done.

David: I like the crops probably because I really like the scene so almost anything would please me but I do prefer the original. The rotation does help though. >=))>

One of my first images to be well “received” was of Wahclella, so it holds a special place in my heart. I’m glad you chose this falls to represent the Gorge!

David, I think your original post works just fine, with the full pool view and a great mix of green tones. The variety of vegetation is quite striking.