Columnar Basalt

A:

B:

C: (Less Contrast)

Short story long: I rented the 100Mp camera in order to see if it’s something I would buy (for cropping purposes). However, I’m just a poor tester. I got so bored at making test images and comparing the results that I had to break out. I took the rental and just started taking images of what I found visually exciting (rather than looking for subjects with a high dynamic range, etc).

I processed this two ways: cooler (B) and warmer and brighter (A). Which do you prefer?

GFX100S, 24-100mm, CPL. tripod, etc.

2 Likes

I prefer warmer. It feels more like I could reach out and feel that texture.

1 Like

Really neat abstract image, Igor! I usually like warmer colors but I prefer the cooler, blue tones for this one. Maybe because it’s so hot right now! The stone looks like it would feel nice and cool.

1 Like

Hi Igor, very nice abstract with interesting shapes and textures. Well seen and taken. I prefer the brighter image.

Fascinating. Interesting because for me this isn’t an image, scene about color. It’s about geo - geology and geometry… “Blocks of time…” which just came to my mind.

Having said that, color is important, and I prefer the cooler image. In my view, the warmer version, the colors are all too similar and thus the shapes become less distinguished from each other. Interesting too because even though you mention only a color balance change - it seems the cooler version is also a tad darker? Maybe it’s just me. But we’re splitting hairs here, both versions work nicely - and that gets back to my point, it’s not about color here. But the colors do contribute and are quite gentle and lovely.

Great find! And I also like the shorter, near square crop.

Lon

This is a wonderful abstract image Igor. I prefer the cooler version. The geometric shapes and colors are fantastic! There is also a vague sense of scale which works well. I have no idea how big the rock pillars are.

A very beautiful image Igor and I totally get you with the testing. I went out to shoot the sunrise yesterday and thought I would also do some lens tests while I was out, but when it came down to it, I just couldn’t be bothered. :blush:
Anyway, back to your image(s). As they are I prefer the warmer version, but I think I would prefer the cooler one if it were just a bit brighter.

1 Like

For some reason the larger B version won’t load for me…I think the Cooler version does it for me. Nicely seen.

Tried out both versions, and they both load the large versions. If someone else has your problem then I’ll reupload B. I’ll probably change it anyway.

I can see the larger version of both now. Definitely B for me too!

Yeah. Testing new gear is just not fun…How do you like the 100S? If I had to replace my GFX 100, I think I would go for the S version, even though I would miss the tilting view finder…

I prefer the cooler version. I think the all the tones mesh together better. I was looking at the 100s but decided to go with the 50s II instead, Same exact body, still 50MP, and used the $2K savings to buy extra lens. So far, I’m very happy with it.

1 Like

I think you made the right decision. And not just from an economic standpoint.

1 Like

I added C, a less contrasty version. I did it because the subject feels like that to me. I like the more even tones (for now).

Prefer A. The geometry and color palette are wonderful captures

I’m with @Tom_Nevesely on this - B if it were brighter, but A for now.

Great image, Igor. To me this image is about geometry (depth) and color fields. IMO C has the best balance between the two.

1 Like

Excellent image Igor. My preference is C. The colors look cleaner and crisper in C .

1 Like

I prefer C also, the less contrast accentuates the pastels better and somehow it seems more abstract to me.

Image A. Seems to be most balanced.

I know you are getting responses for all three but I really have to say that I love C the most. I think it’s because of the soft and muted pastel colors (particularly the minty yellow/green and peaches) that work so well in C and it’s brighter as well. Second would be A and last would be B. B seems more monotone in color with more contrast and a blue hue to it that I find less refreshing that either A or C and it’s too dark.
This is a very interesting find and composed perfectly as is normally the case for you. This does not look easy to compose either. Columnar Basalt is usually so much darker and without color. This is really fascinating to me. What body are you going to go with?