Combat veteran

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We’re into Arachtober so I thought I’d post this photo of a ground hunter that I took last month. This little one (about 1/2 an inch with the legs) was scurrying all around the rocks on the shore of a river I was exploring. When landscapes didn’t work out, I turned my attention back to it in hopes it would stay still long enough for a photo and it did. At the time I didn’t really notice it was missing a couple of legs, but that didn’t stop it and it soldiered on. They are quick and appear in and out of these rocks almost at random.

Specific Feedback

Rather than going very close or cropping a lot, I went for more of an environmental view of this critter in its habitat. Does it work? I decided on monochrome because there wasn’t a lot of color, but that leaf was pretty overpowering and I couldn’t move it for fear of scaring the spider away.

Technical Details

Tripod

Lr for the B&W conversion - added exposure, but left blacks alone. Added a lot of texture and sharpening. Not a whole lot needed to be done.

I think monochrome was a good choice, Kris. It made that leave just about disappear into the background and kept the focus on the spider and rocks. Nice depth of field and composition.

Kris, I agree that the B&W works nicely here, and the center of attention is all about the Combat Veteran. Looks like he had a close call to lose a couple of legs. I also like that you made it an environmental shot. With the missing legs, and the uphill climb of the rock it makes me feel for him. It sounds like he got around just fine though. Nice find and capture.

Even with the missing legs (or maybe because of them?) there is something very appealing about this due to the spider’s shape and the rock it is climbing. The DOF on the rocks shows a context and keeps the spider as the center of attention. I wondered about a bit of simplification to bring even more attention on the spider. A slight crop from the bottom to give the rock a base (and from the left to preserve the aspect ratio) and the leaf was removed. That brings the spider’s leg close to the edge but in this case I think that tension works.

2 Likes

Kris, the BW worked out very well. The contrast really helps bring out the subject very well. I am ok with the leaf because the subject stands out so well.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller & @Dean_Salman - glad the perspective, composition & conversion works for you all. I don’t do a ton of B&W and hardly ever with macro.

I like what you’ve done Diane and might have a go with something similar. I had originally left room around the rock so that it was implied that they went in under them. Maybe that doesn’t work as well as I thought.

1 Like