Come With Me!

The wild cucumber was quite prolific this year and cast its tendrils over everything. It looked to me like the cucumber was holding back this red bud twig from running off with the other twig.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. The technicals aren’t that great on this one. The cucumber is rather soft and the shorter tendrils are somewhat OOF. For me, it’s about the story and the details aren’t so critical. If I were to print this, I would make it smallish, so the OOF bits probably wouldn’t be so noticeable.

Technical Details

a7r3, 269 mm, 1/40s, f/6.3, ISO 400. This is a focus blend. I wanted the background to be really soft, so I opened up the aperture. So to get both twigs in focus, I made two exposures, one for each twig.

And a great story it is, Bonnie. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Wonderful and different, and a great story! I love the monotone, which suits the sparse subject matter. Perfect detail in the BG! I often wonder how tendrils like this manage to grab things. I’d love to see a time-lapse of one grabbing something and wrapping around it.

Thanks, @David_Bostock and @Diane_Miller.

Your wondering inspired me to go looking for a time lapse of cucumber tendrils. I’d seen time lapse video of other plants, so I figured there must be one for cukes. Indeed, researchers have put a lot of time into figuring out cucumber tendrils! And it’s way cool. Here’s a good video explaining the research. Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole - it’s very interesting!

SO COOL! Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley for digging that up! And almost more amazing than the tendrils is the way the plants dance in slow motion. (Sort of like when you speed up whale songs they sound like chirping birds.) The tendril reverse curling reminds me of those coiled telephone cords that always had a kink – at the risk of dating myself.

1 Like