Wild Cucumber

The wild cucumber are really going wild right now, stretching their tendrils over anything they can reach. I find their little curlicues endlessly fascinating.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I shot this wide open to blur the background, and there are some parts (like the front-facing flower) that are not really sharp and don’t bear close examination.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 400mm, f/6.3, 1/200s, ISO 400
Processed in ACR and PS, dodging/burning and color adjustments

@bonnie_lampley
3 Likes

Hi Bonnie, I too find those curlicues fascinating and amazed they “know” in which direction to reach. Especially interesting is the corkscrew on the right. Don’t think I’ve ever seen wild cukes but I know the ones that I grow have tendrils going every which way, lol! When I first viewed your photo I wasn’t sure what the subject was until I read your text. Definitely a high key type composition, very dreamy. The flowers are interesting but distract from the tendrils, so perhaps a different angle may have isolated them better? My other thought was to change the orientation to vertical to match the subject and perhaps show more tendrils. Thanks for sharing!

Nice work Bonnie. Amongst many things I like that it’s all made in a predominant color cast.

Very well done, Bonnie. This is almost an abstract in its dreamy look. The DOF works great, as the bloom seems to come out of nowhere. Excellent.

Bonnie, the emphasis on the cucumber tendrils and the “surprise” of the flower come together very well for a nicely warm dreamy look. This captures the “feel” of spring beautifully.

This is delightful!! The DOF and the parts in focus work so well! The high key limited color palette is so right for the image. Well seen and executed!

Thanks, @Jim_Lockhart, @Igor_Doncov, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, and @Diane_Miller for your kind words. I do appreciate them.

Jim, the flowers apparently do come out of nowhere, but they’re part of the same plant. I see what you’re saying about having just the upright branch and tendrils, but my thinking was that the stem and flower (sort of) made a triangle in the composition, which felt balanced to me.

Gotcha, and they do! :ok_hand:

1 Like