Under Wraps

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It’s wildflower season here, so my husband and I trotted out to a local area that often has a nice display. I’m not sure what I thought I was going to do because I feel rather like @Igor_Doncov - fields of wildflowers are lovely to see, but not photographically inspirational for me.

But I got lucky - there was a large sheet of visqueen that must have blown off a passing truck and had lodged against a barbed-wire fence. It must not have been there too long, as the flowers underneath were still relatively fresh. Recent rain made for some interesting water marks.

This maybe isn’t truly abstract, but I wasn’t sure where else it would go. It’s also not strictly all nature, so if it’s better in Everything Else, I can move it there.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. Do the brights feel too bright?

Technical Details

Several local exposure adjustments to even out dark/light areas; slight color balance adjustment; one additional image layered for subtle texture and to lower contrast.
Screen Shot 2024-04-10 at 9.34.54 AM

2 Likes

Love it.

Have you heard of conceptual blending? I first read about it in a Coleen Miniuk(sp?) article and have since bought a book on it. The idea is that you include several uncorrelated subjects in an image and the viewer comes up with his/her interpretation based on associations they make. I think your work at NPN comes closest to creating such work.

The first thing that comes to mind is a topographic map but that’s not particularly imaginative on my part. Suffocation comes to mind as well come to think of it. One of the things I like about such image is that ‘it’s the gift that keeps on giving’. Each time you come back you may get a surprise.

In my opinion the Initial Reaction is the best way to get feedback for this sort of work at NPN.

2 Likes

Thanks, Igor. I haven’t heard of conceptual blending, but I shall look into it.

Yikes - suffocation! I don’t mind making disturbing images, but I’m not sure I want to go there. You’re right, initial reaction is probably a better category for these kinds of pix.

When I first looked at the thumbnail, I thought it was an ice abstract because of the similar effect in the surface reflections. A very cool find and I like what you did with it. Hope you disposed of the plastic.

Yes I too thought of ice with flowers submerged underneath. Fantastic image Bonnie and great eye to capture this! I would keep the image here since there is a sense of mystery to it.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora.

Dennis, I left the plastic there as it was actually in good shape. I figured some local lost it and might want it back. This road is used almost 100% by locals, and someone probably has a use for it. I could go back in a while and see if it’s still there.

Bonnie, the brights feel right here. I also like how there’s a focus on the clearer flowers just to the left of center. The bit of green along the right side is what I call a pleasant difference, different from the rest but feeling like it too belongs.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver. Glad you mentioned the bit of green and that it doesn’t bother you.

Sometimes it’s the unexpected that works: Flowers under visqueen. Who-da-thunk it? You did! This is really cool. I also thought it was a layer of ice over debris in a puddle or shallow stream. The fact that it isn’t makes it more interesting still. I especially like the places where condensation is forming bubbles or droplets. That adds to the mystery here.
ML

Thanks, @Marylynne_Diggs! Yes, the drops of condensation are that little extra surprise.