Comet's Tail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Back to Harris Beach. The tide was washing over this rock and every time it receded there would be a different “tail”. Not sure if there is enough interest in this little scene but I liked the simplicity of it and the apparent movement. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 87mm
ISO 400, 1/100 @ f16

3 Likes

Outstanding image here, Bill. The lighter sand around the rock, comet, gives the visual look of a comet streaking across the sky…Excellent… :sunglasses:
Thinking about any comet brings to my mind the Mark Twain juxtaposition. He was born in 1835 & died in 1910. Both his DOB & DOD fell on the dates Halley Comet was passing over the USA… :+1:

1 Like

I really like this, Bill. It’s the kind of thing you’d expect to see on the wall of a modern home (ours is definitely NOT). This is all about composition and it lines and it excels in that respect. If it were mine, I’d probably clean up the two little whitish patches in the upper right quadrant as they seem to disrupt the simplicity of the composition.

Very neat shot, Bill, and named appropriately. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about the two spots. Very well seen and captured. If I ever get to the beach again I might spend more time looking down to see what I am missing! :grinning:

Funny. I shot a lot of this kind of thing when I was in Maine this summer. I didn’t post any because I wasn’t sure of the direction I wanted to take with them. You have more sense. Great stuff.

Very cool, with wonderful composition, catching the shapes in the sand just right! The pebble itself is very interesting – could be a candidate for a piece of jewelry.

1 Like

Bill, you clearly were having a lot of fun finding small scenes on the beach. Your comp. here does a good job of creating the feeling of a comet. I do think you can enhance that feeling by dodging the sand trails and the stone. Dodging the dark sand in the upper right for better balance across the frame and burning in some of the darker areas in the lower left, to emphasize the “bow wave”.

Well, Bill, I will add my name to the list of kudo-givers here! It’s a lovely image, well composed, and while I agree about the two whitish spots, overall the image is simply excellent.