Common Blue Damselfly

Any feedback or comment gratefully received, technical or artistic.

Nikon D850 with Tamron 90mm macro. Small amount of diffused flash to reinforce natural light.

1 Like

Love this shot, Philip. I shot a Blue a couple days ago that just wasn’t this good. Nice detail and I like his wings up. Nice capture!

Phillip, this is a nice look at a Blue Damselfly. Love those blue eyes. I think the square crop works well for him. Very nice detail where needed. The wings up is an unusual pose, at least I don’t recall seeing one with the wings up. Well done.

Philip, Love the detail and beautiful blue. Have not seen this one yet. The red on the tips of the leaves also adds to the shot.
Wayne

Thanks for the various comments. Sometimes the damsel flies are quite obliging and will stay in the same position whilst you’re fading around with the settings!

Philip, the intensity of those blue eyes is very striking. The golden stripes on its thorax and top of the eyes adds well.

Philip: The “eyes” do indeed have it in this image. Without knowing your settings it’s hard to comment on the shooting conditions but if possible a bit more DOF around the head/thorax would suit me better. The slightly OOF hairs on the thorax distract me a bit but retaining small details like them is one of my personal preferences. Still very nice as is. >=))>

Thanks for the comments, Bill. I know exactly what you mean about focus generally, as there are times when it simply isn’t enough to focus on the eyes in a macro shot, and there is a bit of an orthodoxy which says “just make sure the eyes are in focus” and that works sometimes, but especially if you want the creature in its setting, which I generally like (rather than in isolation) you want a lot more in focus. To that end this was taken at f/32! (Also ISO 1100 and 1/125 sec.) But maybe my actual focus point was therefore slightly in front of the eyes? But actually when I look at the image I think it works, but not quite sure of my judgement! Thanks for taking the time to look at it, Bill.