Common Goldeneye female

These Goldeneye’s seem to show up every year in early January. Last year there was only one or two but this year there have been more. I saw a male which is why I think this is a Common Goldeneye rather than a Barrows but I could be wrong. Several years ago, we definitely had Barrows Goldeneyes but this time the male is different.

Specific Feedback Requested

This duck had just surfaced and was fortunately somewhat close to where I was. I had a considerable number of specular highlights, and probably cloned way over 100. At what point do you feel it’s okay to have some. I have never removed as many as I did on this image but frequently I get feedback that they should be removed. What is reasonable?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso-1600, 400+ 2X, F6 .3, 2500th, A7r4, 12.5 megapixels out of 61 or 20% of full frame.

It is a Common by the triangular head shape… As for highlights, sometimes with diving ducks that is what you get and if too many I just delete… if just a few, depending on where, they can add to the photo or I remove them.
I think you did not get sharp focus here, that is a bigger problem.

Hi David
I agree with Dan. I would have see the original photograph to judge on how many highlights to remove. What ever the number you did a really good job. The wake and head really add to the photograph.
Peter

You did a really good job on removing highlights. I had to check twice because duck certainly did not appear to have just resurfaced from a dive. Nice look back pose as it swims away.
Generally if I am going to post or process a photo I try to remove the highlights otherwise I do not process.

I’m in the case-by-case camp when it comes to removing highlights, but I generally do remove those that I find distracting. If you look at my last post closely, you’ll see quite a few very small ones remaining from drops on the grasses. I removed those that I thought drew my attention. It does look as if the focus was on the eye, but with the duck swimming away, the rear end is significantly out of focus.