Common Yellowthroat

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In a previous image, a very similar picture was posted by Dennis Plank. Both of us probably were shooting at the same time at the same bird. This is my version of the Common Yellowthroat. It got even closer than this but my camera refused to focus at the time when I needed it to.

Technical Details

ISO 5000, 200 to 600+1.4 at 800 mm equivalent, F9, 2000th, overcast, handheld, minimal processing and no cloning, approximately 25% of full frame, Sony Alpha one

Very good, David. For some reason, you seemed to end up with more texture int he lily pads than I did and I like the addition. Might not have been the same location. I know I followed that bird around quite a bit and judging by my files, I got some shots at him later as well.

A lovely and unusual (to me, anyway) find, and a gorgeous bird!! I love the subject and composition but there are some artifacts on the leaf edges in the left half. Possibly from sharpening? I do sharpening (when I rarely do) on a top layer and mask out areas where it doesn’t look right.

Hi David, Love these little guys - so photogenic but hard to catch! The bird looks great to me but I do notice the artifacts Diane mentions. Not sure what would cause that. I like the overall setting and the feeling of being immersed in the greenery with the bird. I also like the subject placement in the frame.

So here is the original image and I redid the enlargement. I can’t tell where the artifact comes in. It may be related to a Topaz plug-in or it may be exaggerated when the images changed to a JPEG. Thanks for any help with this.

@David_Schoen I see a hint of it in the original, but it’s getting grossly exaggerated by Topaz, I think. One thing you might check is to see if you had lens correction turned on in LR. That might fix the double edge in the original.
I sometimes use Topaz Denoise, but I don’t like Image or Sharpening. You might also go back to the raw file and see how it looks with LR’s new AI noise reduction.