Composite Song Sparrow

I’m posting this one in the Photo Art forum because it’s a blatant composite with the entire background replaced (see original posted below). This was from the Skagit Valley and I liked the sparrow on the frosted driftwood, but the background was hideous. It just happened that I’d taken some images of a cattail patch that same morning because I liked the lines and curves of the reeds. Since I had it handy, I decided to use it in place of the original background.

The Original:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the replacement background work?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I blurred the cattails, do they look reasonable this way? Any other comments?

Any pertinent technical details:

Both images taken with a 7DII and Sigma 150-600 C. The bird was taken at 600 mm, f7.1, 1/400, iso 800 with manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken January 14th.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Dennis,
Artistically, I like how you created the image illusion, light and background. From a technical point of view, there are a few ‘holiday’s’ on the rear pin feathers. Also, the bird outline has light and dark halos that require attention.

The cattails look just right to me, Dennis - blurring and whitening especially at the top of the frame as they do. The bird has also sharpened up nicely in the new version.