Song Sparrow

Taken out in the marsh. 7DII, 700mm, f/6.3, 1/250, ISO 1600

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Cropped vertical from a horizontal and i removed a bit of the bottom

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Great job nailing the focus through the reeds, David, and I love the background. I do think some more room in front of the bird would make for a stronger composition, but it may have gotten ugly in that direction. A lovely image.

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your comment. I took a slice of about 1/6 of the log out. There was a bit of a knot and grass. The photo probably would have been fine to leave it in.
It was a fun shot of an every day pretty little bird.

Nice shot David, through the blades of grass - tells the story of this Song Sparrow’s habitat.
That said, what do you think about giving the bird some space to its left ?
I made your vertical horizontal and added real estate on the right - but you say that you have more space and so should get a better crop than I did
I also tried a little dehaze of the bird in areas of the grass - didn’t help as much as I thought it would

Nice environmental shot. The background reeds are nice and the foreground reeds over the rear of the sparrow lends a nice 3-D effect. Good you were able to get the face sharp. I think I would prefer a horizontal composition with more room for the sparrow to look into.

I would have to say I’m with Alan and Carl on this one. I think it is an effective image with respect to getting the bird and focus through the reeds. It’s not that common a composition to do this. So I like what you did but agree that it needs more space in front of the bird.

Funny. I was not thinking of this at all. I missed Dennis’s comment completely.
Here is another crack at it.
Thanks for the comments.