Concentration

This Northern Harrier lifted off the post she was watching from and abruptly dropped onto the brown foliage, hunting unsuccessfully (at least on this attempt).

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback appreciated. Also, the hawk’s head is bent just far enough that you cannot see her eyes. Wondering whether the image still has impact without being able to see her eyes.

Technical Details

Sony A1, 100-400 GM lens at 400mm, 1/2500 at F/8, ISO 2000. Edited in Lightroom, finished with Topaz DeNoise.

3 Likes

Welcome to NPN, Julie! The paired wings and the bright feet show very well here. The head down (staring at the prey) fits the story about this attack. A fine action capture.

This is definitely symmetry! Welcome in the community.
A beautiful capture. It doesn’t bother me at all that you can’t see the eyes; this is the moment of attack and it would be strange if the eyes were looking elsewhere.
Great first post!

Hello Julie! Welcome to the NPN community. What a wonderful first post. I never even thought about the lack of eye contact since I was so focused on the perfect position of the wings. Very nicely seen and a great first post. Look forward to more of your photos from the west coast.

Hi Julie, welcome to NPN. This is an incredible first post and perfect example of symmetry.

I know you’ll get lots of great info and support out of our community. I look forward to seeing more of your contributions.

Cheers,
David

Hello and welcome. I am relatively new here as well and have been thrilled to be part of this network. I have just glanced at your portfolio and am very impressed. I look forward to your contributions!

The symmetry and detail in the wings of this photo are wonderful. I can see enough of the eyes and recognize immediately what the bird is doing. I watch a lot of harriers and am impressed by this capture.

Welcome, Julie! This is a unique view of a harrier hunting - as others said, the wings are the main draw - and the square crop suits them perfectly. I also like how the wings lead us to those talons (and the probable prey below!) Super shot.

Thanks, Mark!

Thanks so much, Han!

Thanks, Linda - I appreciate your comment about the eye contact.

1 Like

Thanks, David! I’ve already learned much from the NPN community and look forward to more.

Hi Rowena - thanks so much for your comments! It was a pretty exciting encounter for me.

Thanks so much, Mike!

An excellent wildlife photo that fits the challenge category perfectly, Julie! The centered composition accents the symmetry nicely and exposure, focus and colors are all very nice. Great shot and welcome to NPN!

Very nice capture and wonderful symmetry!

I’m curious from the birders here – is this a Northern Harrier? I don’t know enough about birds to know why, but that’s my initial impression.

Thanks, Diane - yes, it’s a Northern Harrier.