CONFUSED

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A straight tree I was
Now bend and look different
Feeling so confused

Specific Feedback

All feedback is more than welcome

Technical Details

F11, 1/15, iso 64, 24-70 at 55mm

1 Like

I can relate to the tree, Ben. And also your words. Nicely done.

Nicely seen, I love the composition around the curve of the tree. I am thinking B&W might bring out the rich structuere of this image.

Thank you Tomas. I made a B&W and yes I am happy with it !

Love to see your comment.

1 Like

@linda_mellor Linda , I am also curious if you can approve the rework B&W ?

1 Like

Ben, I have tried these kinds of scenes and have never gotten a nice image. You certainly have here. Well done. I like the color version for the the slight warm feeling, but the B&W is my favorite as it really highlights the lines and curves.

Well seen, Ben. I like both versions, but I’m leaning towards the color. It has more emotion for me.

2 Likes

Thank you ,Bonnie. I do not so much in B&W. Therefore it was a nice exercise for me in TK9.

Yes, the color version is more expressive for sure.

@Ben_van_der_Sande, love the curved tree! It almost looks like an animal (see the horse face, bottom right!). Even though I’m mainly a B&W photographer, I, too, prefer the color version. It feels richer and the slight rust colors nicely complement the blue sky behind the trees. My one concern is that the top of the curve feels too close to the top and is cramped. I’d like to see a little more space.

@Ben_van_der_Sande I tried experimenting with the B&W conversion a bit: killed cyan and blue channels to reduce the brightness of the background, added a vignette (I think @Susanna_Euston is right about the top edge, I’d probably gone for a more pronounced vignette if there was a bit more space to work with), dodged the wood a bit, and added very slight selenium-like tone to warm it up. See what you think. (Playing with it, I was thinking if I was shooting it with view to B&W, I would have probably gone for a shallower depth of field for a bit of blur in the background to make it less busy, for the color version it is not an issue as the color difference offsets it nicely).

I too prefer the color Ben, which I wouldn’t have predicted going in. This is a storytelling image for me, with a bleakness that the low saturation enhances.

@linda_mellor , @David_Bostock , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Igor_Doncov , @Susanna_Euston , @John_Williams . I made a final rework in color (I like the most). And gave it more space , what is better indeed. @Susanna_Euston , What a good observation you did with that horse face :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: @Tomas_Frydrych , Thanks for your B&W experiment .I am not so good in B&W and still studying it.

MY REWORK

3 Likes