Contemplation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Take out my bedroom window. This male has been showing up regularly. Not as gaudy as some.
Yes, it is a close crop.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

iso 800, 200-600 plus 1.4X at 840 mm, f10, 1000th, A1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Head is nice and sharp and the DOF is good from head and most of the tail. There is some sharpening artifacts present in the tail. BG is fine and I like the diagonal branch in the comp…Jim

Very nice, David. I certainly see your title in this one. A very contemplative pose. Detail is excellent. Jim mentioned the tail. When the tail is going out of focus, I’ll sometimes omit it from my “sharpening” step to avoid weird effects of trying to sharpen something out of focus.

P.S. Michelle’s mini Zen Garden got fresh sand put down a day or two ago and there were four pairs of Purple Finches in it collecting grit while I was washing dishes this morning-yet another way to help attract birds.

Hi David
I would like to loosen up the frame some and that would be the only thing I could add to Jim’s and Dennis’s comments.
Peter

Lovely detail and gorgeous BG! He doesn’t need to be colorful – he’s regal as is. I think it would be nice to loosen the crop just a bit at the bottom so the very pretty lichen at the bottom has some breathing room, but I’m guessing there is something distracting in the way there.

The sharpening artifacts on the tail are easy to deal with – sharpen on a new layer and do a soft edged mask to hide it in areas where it is overdone.

Hi David, nice pose with a fine catchlight. Pleasing background. Good advice above in terms of sharpening. Nice image.