Coopers Hawk and Arundo

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This Coopers Hawk was at our favorite local ponds. Unfortunately the giant arundo has taken over the mouth of the Santa Clara River and has been a huge invasive pest in general here in California. Once established it is very difficult to impossible to get rid of it. Maybe if we imported some hippos and elephants to eat it. . . ?

Specific Feedback

This hawk was a total surprise when I finally saw it sitting very quietly on the branch in front of the arundo. It really blended in well. Perhaps too well? I tried to lighten the hawk and darken the arundo in post processing to make it more noticeable. I do love the patterns and the nice sleek build of this hawk. I should probably have opened up the aperture a lot more to isolate the hawk better.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f14, 1/400 sec, iso 800, 100-400/1.4TC at 390.

Beautiful detail in the hawk, Ed, and I like the perch. Too bad about the invasive, but all you can do is fight it.

1 Like

Thanks again, and again, and again @Dennis_Plank. I really appreciate all you do to support and teach us in the NPN Community. We have some amazing moderators who go way out of their way to help.

Hi Ed, a fine look at this hawk with great detail and fine exposure. Wonderfully sharp and prominent eye. I like the composition overall with the branch curving through the frame and the green backdrop. Well done.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks.