Cooper's

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We got evacuated from our house recently (a close by fire) and while we were killing time in a motel room I decided to drive down to the Merced National Wildlife Refuge to see what I could see with my trusty camera, which I did not want to leave behind. The Refuge was drained of its water so no waterfowl, however I did come up on this fairly cooperative Cooper’s Hawk. I was mid afternoon under a very smoky yellow/orange lit sky. I liked the warm cast it gave this guy. D500, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/2000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 320, AI Clear, cropped to 2382 x 2715

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

When I looked at this image, I thought of smoky conditions Dave. We’ve been luck enough not to have problems yet this year. Detail looks very good and I like the pose. I do think I’d put it a little further left in the frame.

Wonderful pose and detail. The perch is an excellent color match for the hawk, and the featureless BG gives this the look of an Audubon illustration.

I agree you can feel that smoky light. Very nice photo. I like the inclusion of the twisty perch. I think a little work on the eye would help make the hawk pop a bit more. Too bad about the forest fires.