Rousing Ferruginous

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I continue to be thankful for Ferruginous Hawks obliging me. This one allowed me to drive by it, stop, get out, open the rear hatch, and focus and shoot it with my monopod… and it wasn’t that far away! D500, Nikon 200-500mm lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, gimbal/monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 560, cropped to 2232 x 2725, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Dave, it’s so nice when a subject cooperates like this one did! I like the composition - subject is well placed in the frame and I like the head on look. I think you left just the right amount of perch showing. Nice exposure. The feather detail seems muted to me in the largest version - I wonder due to post processing.

A beautiful hawk, nicely shown here. I like the ruffled feathers and that it’s looking at the observer. Lucky it was cooperative; hopefully it wasn’t because its feet were stuck in the perch.

I love the pose, Dave. To my eye, the hawk itself seems just a tiny bit soft, like you had your focus on the post.