Inflight Ferruginous

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

A couple of days ago I was fortunate to snag a large handful of shots of my favorite species of bird to shoot. The stars were aligned and the subject was very cooperative like FHs usually are compared to other raptors. I think this shot was my fav of them. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/4000th, f 8.0, 280mm, ISO 900, hand held, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice flight shot of the hawk. I like the wing pose and the facial detail is good. There’s a white speck to the left of the tail feathers.

Very nice detail in the hawk, Dave. I like the wing position and the exposure looks excellent. For my taste, I think I’d lose the pole and reposition the hawk more toward the lower left, but that’s just me.

Wonderful sharpness and detail! The hint of clouds provides a very nice BG. I like the pole as it shows where the hawk has just taken off from, consistent with the landing gear not yet fully retracted.

Hi Dave
When I first looked at the shot the pole seem out of place. But after reading Daine Miller post, the pole tock on new meaning. (launch pad for the hawk) . You learn something every day. Nice action.
Peter

Not to confuse the issue Dave but I am with Dennis on the post. I would also have a look at reducing the blue in the underside of bird. I think it would warm up the bird a bit and make the whites whiter. Very nice shot of the hawk. Nice pose and lots of detail. Not a bird I see this far north.

I Took your suggestions and I do like this version. I had left the pole showing as evidence of the perch it was jumping off of but, on second thought, I guess it really doesn’t need it. Another thing I struggled with was whether or not to clone out that little errant feather sticking out on its left wing. I kinda like how it’s “sun dialing” in the sun’s direction so I left it. Whaddaya think? better?

I like it better. I think it shows the hawk off more and I kind of thought the post was a bit bulky. I would leave the feather in. It looks like you toned up the blues as well. Looks good. Interesting looking beak.

I do like the repost better, Dave. I’d definitely leave the errant feather. I always like the little imperfections.