Copper Falls

Nice idea Mark for this week’s subject. Moving to a fly-over state has been a bit of an eye-opener for me. Not much coverage of the natural beauty and wonders occurs outside Wisconsin. And like many other larger states with the biggest population in the southern parts, the northern attractions don’t get as much action. Copper Falls might be an exception. It’s in Ashland county and not far from Lake Superior.

It’s reasonably easy to get to and features the conjunction of two major rivers - the Bad River and Tyler Forks. It’s called Copper Falls State Park because of the intense copper mining that went on here for centuries (Native Americans mined here, too). There are several falls within the park, but not many places to photograph them due to the extreme danger of the cliffs. So behind fences and between trees, on boardwalks and paths is the only way and so pretty much every photo looks the same. I did my best.

It’s still a great place to camp, picnic, hike and be surrounded by the roar of white water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything to improve it is fine by me. This is the only slice of the falls you can see from this side. The rest is fenced off and covered by trees (cedars help hold the cliffs together). There is a bridge directly across from this and you might be able to make it out. You can shoot the falls from there, too. Maybe I can post one later.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens @ 16mm (32mm equiv.)
f/8 | 1/80 sec | ISO 200
Probably a tripod & a polarizer.

Lr processed for curves adjustment, clarity & texture. A bit of lens correction, sharpening & nr. Used a local adjustment brush to bring up contrast in the water.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

I’m thinking this would good as a vertical, most of the trees on the left and the bare branches on the right aren’t helping at all.

Considering the bare branches are directly over the falls, I’m not sure that’s going to work well.