Coriolis

Stephane, I like photographs that make me think and feel. And this does both. I vote for the vertical and the version before the rotation.
Looking at the image I like that it could be so many things, I only think it must be something natural like gas, water, clouds, or fur. It is a geometry humans are not able to create. It reminds me of the weird mathematics of chaos theory trying to define natural forms. It could be a galaxy, it could be something so tiny you could only see it with a microscope. It could be the manifestation of energy, of life itself.
You left a lot open for interpretation and gave us “just” s beautiful image. I like that.

Thank you very much for your response, @holgermischke and my apologies for not getting back to you until now! I’m very happy to find that it triggers your both your cognitive and your emotional imagination and that it’s obvious to you that it is indeed a natural “phenomenon”, which is basically what I hope to achieve.

May I ask why you prefer the original vertical version över the slightly rotated one?

For me it is the original version by a very small margin.

1 Like

OK, thanks, @holgermischke.

The intriguing mystery conveyed by the image is a real treat. The vertical image appeals to me more, because the two masses of energy seem to be peers. In fact, peering at each other. Arranged horizontally, one seems superior and that fizzles the energy and mystery for me. When we were kids looking at clouds, we saw wonderful objects emerge and then re-form into other objects; that’s what looking at this image does for me. Your choices of luminosity and contrast are important to creating the mystery for me.
After reading your comments,
– I agree with others - Portfolio Ready _ YES! I am really looking forward to seeing your project.
– Colors - the subdued colors and warm center with cool periphery of the masses are important to convey the mystery and energy I feel.
– One of your other effective choices was to isolate the masses in a dark space.

The slight clockwise rotation seems to add energy, especially to the horizontal; less static.

Thank you very much for the excellent feedback, @Dick_Knudson! Feels like I am on the right track with this photo and hopefully the rest of the series too (although this is probably my favorite among them). :slightly_smiling_face:

Stéphane,

Quite late to the party, but wanted to add my kudos and congratulations on an outstanding image.

While I agree the vertical is a bit more dynamic, I think the subject fits and flows more naturally in the horizontal, but it’s almost a toss up.

I didn’t see this option, but what about flipping vertically the horizontal image? Kinda changes things a bit, but I’m not sure if for the better.

Wonderful imagery. Fantastic job in processing from the RAW. Well done and so glad you posted

Lon

So do I – I meant to get to this one earlier and it slipped away. I’m glad I waited because now I get to see the excellent discussion.

I think this is incredible and amazing – the shapes are so intriguing and the tonalities and colors feel just right. I couldn’t have imagined how it was created – and it didn’t matter! I’m not good at reading feelings into images – this one is definitely emotional but what it evokes I’m not really sure. Some sort of chaos, for sure, maybe the collision of two black holes or galaxies. At first glance I liked the vertical, but immediately thought about a slight CW rotation. But on looking closer, I prefer the horizontal, but I think it could also do with a slight CW rotation. That warmer area feels like it is being cradled and needs to be on the bottom. So maybe there is a yin/yang aspect to it – with an interesting visual similarity to the symbol, too.

I tried @Lon_Overacker’s idea about a flip but I think the warmer area needs to be at the bottom.

The very best wishes for your exhibit!! I hope we get to see a lot more of your work – your web site is wonderful!

Thank you so very much for the incredibly encouraging words and praise, @Lon_Overacker!

I too have swayed more towards the horizontal version lately, but maybe for a stupid reason, being that I’ve realized that most of my abstract and intimate scene photos are verticals. I also tried mirroring in all possible ways but quickly came back to these two original alternatives, but since it’s been a while since I processed it, maybe it’s time for a second look
?

Thanks again, Lon! :pray:

Stéphane

Thank you very much, @Diane_Miller! I’m especially happy to hear how you feel about the colours, as they aren’t part of the original capture.

Did you see the slightly rotated versions (in a comment)? If so, do you think that I should rotate them even more?

Like I mentioned in my reply to Lon, I 've found myself gravitating more towards the horizontal one lately, even though it might not be for the best reason.

And thanks for the warm wishes and having a look at my horribly outdated website. :see_no_evil:
It’s missing at least the 5 last years of my work, which I suspect could replace 80-90% of what’s on it now. So I really need to get it in order before the exhibition, probably starting over on another platform

Cheers,
Stéphane

I think the rotations posted are good, but I might go just a tiny bit more – but that is so subjective. All versions are so intriguing that rotation is a small issue.

I hope you will let us know when you have updated your web site!

1 Like

I think that I did try a larger angle of rotation too and decided to be a bit more subtle about it. Ut knowing when enough is enough is often a bit if a mystery to me.

Sure, I’ll let you know. :slightly_smiling_face: Not sure where I’d post about such an update though
? And even though it’s really overdue and not doing it would feel stupid, considering the exhibition, I wouldn’t hold my breath for it. My time for photography unfortunately tends to be a rare luxury and its most important function in my life is as a means to “preserve my sanity” and that mostly happens out in nature with a camera in my hand.