Corn Bales

When I think of crops and crop lands I immediately think of the corn and soybean fields we are surrounded with, but my favorite images are of a couple of farms I got to go to this summer raising flowers. However, I really wanted to try for something more on the grand scale of crops here and today I noticed these baled corn stalks. I don’t think most of the bales I see are corn, so I wanted to capture this in spite of the dreary, rainy day. It does speak fall.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This was handheld along the road. I did edit in post mainly to bring back the clouds and to highlight the 3 bale area a little more. It was a dark day, but I think I tend to develop a bit dark. I maybe should have lifted this a bit more. I did clone out a piece of trash, but in the end it was cropped out anyway. I did a 1x2 crop and an original ratio crop. I wasn’t sure I was quite satisfied with either.

Fascinating, Karla. I’ve never seen corn stalks baled in the USA even as I enjoy seeing many fields of hay bales like the ones here. The cloud cover does give this a somber, late fall, feeling. I like both shots, there a more open feeling to the uncropped version, while the pano crop works well with the low horizon.

@Mark_Seaver - Thanks for your comments on the crop. I think that’s why I was drawn to the one with more sky as well. My dad was raised on a farm in this area and he didn’t remember them baling corn stalks either. I’m glad it wasn’t just an oversight on our part thinking that this was unusual. :slight_smile:

Karla: Well seen and composed. I think I prefer the uncropped version even though the sky is not the main subject. On the cropped version the horizon line is centered and just doesn’t work for me. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

@Bill_Fach - Thank you for commenting on the crop as well. I appreciate the additional perspective.