Corona Detail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a long, windy, bumpy trip in a small plane, but everything worked! In spite of backups and lots of rehearsals, there were SO many things that could have gone wrong. (And I was afraid three in a row was asking way too much.)

I haven’t taken time to try to line up the star field that I shot 6 months ago when this spot in the sky was in darkness. At 100% there are some tiny dots that I’m pretty sure are stars.

I’ll post a composite of some of the exposures in a few days.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-500 lens at 500, ISO 100, f/6.7, 13 exposures from 1/2000 sec to 2 sec, tracked. Exposures controlled on a laptop with Lightroom Tethered Capture. Smart Object stack, Mean mode, with some High Pass filter detail enhancement. I’ve been twiddling with the contrast and decided to quit here, at least for now. Some artifacts are starting to creep in, probably from the sensor.

2 Likes

Diane, wonderful image and as always your expertise is apparent in performing this unique photographic work. I can only really appreciate your planning and overall efforts on this project… :sunglasses:
BTW: I can totally relate to the long, windy, bumpy trip in a small plane. I spent 2 years flying in everything made at the time in Alaska. Several flights in STOL units. All flights were an event… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Truly amazingly perfect shot, Diane. Clearly all of your planning and practice has paid off. This image is a joy to look at time and again!

Very cool, Diane. A huge corona, courtesy of you very wide range of exposure. On my monitor, admittedly in need of calibration, the corona is starting to look slightly purplish toward the outside and I’m beginning to see just a hint of radial banding that may be due to the limitations of the jpeg color space.

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz, @linda_mellor and @Dennis_Plank! Dennis, thanks for catching that – I’ve think I’ve been staring at the screen too long – sort of like snow blindness? I’ll fix it, for sure.

Paul, bush flying in Alaska is another world, for sure – along with the scenery!

2 Likes

Wow, the corona is just glorious! It captures the mind-blowing feeling of witnessing the total eclipse.

Diane,

Stunning corona! Many more filaments than in the 2017 Corona. I can’t help but wonder if you can’t get more detail in the corona. Have you seen Nico Carver’s tutorial on processing corona images on his Nebula Photos YouTube channel? Here is the link in case you have not. Corona Processeing

Also Jerry Lodriguss on his AstroPix.com website has a great description of several processing techniques to get ultra detail in the corona, you can read it HERE. I would love to see this photo with the level of detail I am sure your camera and lens were able to capture.

Thanks, @DeanRoyer and @Youssef_Ismail. I was aware of Jerry Logriguss’ techniques when working on the 2017 eclipse but need to review them. And I hadn’t seen Nico Carver’s tutorial, although I have seen some of his DSO tutorials. I’ll check out both, and look for more – I was so intent on getting the files that I have yet to fully explore processing. And then I will be going back to the 2017 files to see if I can do more with them. I’m pretty confident that the newer sensor and lens will let me pull out more but I have a feeling sensor artifacts will be limiting. I will also see what I can do in PixInsight, but I will be surprised (and very happy) if it is a lot more.

The corona is amazing in this photo I think that you handled it very well. These techniques are out of my wheel house and have much to learn. Wonderful photo and I certainly do not have any nits for you…Jim