Cottonwood Confab + RP

I did some minor tweaking to this older image from 2013. Harley and I were wandering around Yosemite this chilly morning in late October and found this scene.

I did a little work on the contrast in the group of trees and also on the un-frosted grass in the foreground.

Chamonix 4x5
Fujinon 180mm
f/32 @ 4s
Astia 100F

Any thoughts you may have are always appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:
–P

A couple of suggestions: I would cool the image to make the yellows stand out more and I would add contrast to the meadow grass. Here is a crude estimate of what I’m referring to.

Real nice mood and color. The image feels a little tight on the sides to me, maybe add some canvas and fill? I tend to see more horizontal and vertical often feel that way to me. So it might be me. Otherwise, I quite like it as presented.

Preston: Beautiful scene and a fine capture. For me the most interesting elements are the trees and the rock face. I like the meadow but not enough to give it 40% or so of the frame. A slightly elevated camera angle would work better for me. I do like the light and mood. >=))>

Nice one, Preston. Beautiful grouping of trees and that fog adds a lot of atmosphere. I think to Bill’s point I could see cropping a bit off the bottom… maybe reducing the grass area by ~1/3. I would also add a bit of vignette to place more emphasis on the trees.

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

I added some canvas to both sides and cropped some from the bottom. What say you?

–P

1 Like

Preston,

Excellent take on this popular set of trees in the valley. I think what really pulls this image together for me is the layer of foggy mist. I like the comp, but think it’s a little 50/50 between the meadow grasses and the rock face of Royal Arch. If it were mine, I’d be inclined to crop the grass - actually cropping out the “non frosted” grass. I think the result would be a nice balance between all the elements.

Maybe it’s just me, but the granite seems ever so slightly green? I think perhaps more towards Igor’s treatment of the granite - although I like the color balance in the rest of your original frame.

Great to see you working through some of your 4x5 stuff.

Lon

Preston, to me the most intriguing thing about this image is the way the low ground fog is creeping around the base of the aspens. It is so interesting to see low lying fog, and I like how it dissipates at the point where the colorful leaves begin. To me the cliffs and grassy meadow are necessary, but secondary elements.

I think your re-worked crop is a step in a good direction, but I would consider cropping it even more, to me it just doesn’t have enough color or texture to justify having this much space. I would suggest considering a square crop that eliminates about half of the grass in the rework. I also prefer the cooler WB of the original presentation to the warmer one in the rework. The cooler fog creates a more mysterious feeling IMO. I could see warming the grass in the meadow though, while leaving the fog cooler.

Preston, I might be odd person out here, but I really like the rework with extra canvas and possible other tweaks.
As always, once the original is a decent image to start with there are all kinds of ways to enhance if so inclined. This one merits your own final approach with varied suggestions being as input overall…:sunglasses:
Astia yellows…Hooray !