Cottonwood Contrast + Repost

Another cottonwood from my fall journey to Utah.

D850, 24-70mm

Rework

Original

2 Likes

Well how nice is that? The combination of the lovely tree posed against such a nice background has a “studio” vibe (in a good way). Both the red background and the yellow fall foliage (probably magnified by the rock color tinting the tree) have magenta in them. Personal choice may dictate a different direction, but I could see playing with color and luminosity contrast to help the tree stand out a bit more from the background. Here’s a crude example of what I mean by that:

1 Like

Well Harley this one sure has your signature reflected light glow. The composition is spot on, with good breathing room on all four sides. And the foreground bushes add a lot to my enjoyment of the image as well, they supplement the main tree nicely.

I like the colors as presented, I’m not sure if any more separation of the tree is needed. If I were to suggest anything in that regard, it might be some very slight darkening of the top edge, to kind of put a cap on the top of the tree.

I like this portrait of a tree. I like the overall warm tint this image has. The lighter yellow over a darker orange/brown works really well for me and is the most appealing aspect of this image. I like less the bushes below the tree as they give the image a scruffy (untidy) look and somehow take some energy away from the tree. I think I would desaturate them and try to have them get less attention (maybe drop their luminosity).

Harley,
You and I were definitely in the same place and the same time. Surprised we didn’t run into each other. This has that very same warm, Nikon glow that I too was getting with my images with the auto white balance around 6000 kelvin. I thought many of my images were too warm but I really like this glow you got. Aside from the canyon glow, what I immediately noticed was how the horizontal crack in the wall was the same angle as the ground. Then you have the tree tilting the opposite way creating a really nice juxtaposition that makes all of these angles work so well. I also like the variation in the rock wall between the the top and bottom. The clutter in the foreground is noticeable but not entirely bothersome to me. I think I slightly prefer the colors that @John_Williams achieved with his rework, further separating the tree from the background. Good see and capture Harley!

I really enjoy this image. It’s nicely composed and the warm colors of the rock and subject transport me there. It’s the photographic equivalent of a Maynard Dixon painting. I too slightly prefer the colors that John Williams has brought to bear in the rework.

I really like this isolated view with the lone cottonwood against the canyon wall, Harley. The light and warmth is especially nice. I did notice the magenta John points out and do not find it too harsh. Especially as a Velvia user like me. I mean every shot with it is magenta strong. Anyway, always subjective thoughts for changes there as the composition is solid as is.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, @Igor_Doncov , @Ed_McGuirk , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @David_Haynes , @John_Williams and @Craig_Barfoot. John, I like where you headed with the contrast of the wall. I reposted and went more toward the middle ground, but feel like it makes the tree stand out more. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

This is a good exercise for me. The more I compare the two, the more I lean to the original. As Preston is fond of saying, “research continues”. Great input from everybody.

1 Like

Love your rework Harley. That’s an outstanding portrait of a cottonwood.

I agree. The original has greater visual energy.

I am surprised, but I find the original more cohesive. I really thought I would prefer the separation of the tree from the background but the slightly yellower colors of the rework are not as harmonious as the original. Put me down for the original. Warm on warm. :slight_smile: