Death of the Cottonwood

![Death of the Cottonwood]
Original Not sure why the original post is not showing up. Looks like you have to click on this link.

(https://images.naturephotographers.network/original/3X/5/b/5bb89597139e35ad7a193280005e66e258b2ce01.jpeg)

John’s rework Using PS transform tool to retain all pixels but stretch to a new aspect ratio

From my Utah fall trip this October. When I was near this same basic area earlier this spring and the trees had no leaves on them, I thought this area would possibly prove productive for some fall images. These are obviously not your typical fall color images with aspen and the like, but these cottonwood trees have interesting shapes to them and the fall colors were peaking while I was there and they were framing some beautiful badland features. What really caught my eye were two things. First, the dead tree branching out in front of the other cottonwood trees behind it. It’s the shape and structure of this tree that really catches my eye in this image. Also, I love the badlands and the cement gray/blue coloration of these hills but what I noticed was the house like structure popping out in the background. I also love the orange red crest fallen rocks in the ravines.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and suggestion appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850, Sigma 150-600mm lens, 240mm, ISO 200, 1/15 @ f/9
Like some of my other Utah images from this area, I had to take several images to get a sharp one because the wind is nearly always blowing at 15-20 MPH and with a long lens, it makes it very hard to get a sharp image.

9 Likes

Great photo! The composition is spot on and it is a treat to see cottonwoods against something besides red rock (nothing against red rock…I love it).

This is a great location, and I can imagine why you returned to it.
About the image I am a bit ambiguous. I love the colors of the trees, beautifully contrasting with the blue/gray rocks behind them, and the great patterns in the rock. I love the shape of the dead tree.
But the combination of the dead tree in front of the fall colors has less appeal to me.
A very personal opinion, I’m looking forward to other comments.

I know this spot quite well and this is an outstanding image from there. The tight comp of that particular tree works really well and I love the tree structure. No nits here, this one is really working for me.

I suspect we were out in that general area at the same time this fall. I was there the last couple of weeks of October.

A stunning image David, beautifully composed and processed. The blue/grey colors in the formation are gorgeous.

Vertical images with a 3 to 2 aspect ratio often don’t get a lot of love here at NPN. But for me, this scene is perfect for 3 to 2, it helps convey a sense of scale, height, and there is something of good visual interest from top to bottom in this composition. This would make an awesome large print.

I think this is a really well done image for many reasons. The color composition of cool and warm may be it’s best feature. The design of the image is wonderful. I like the dead tree in the front. If I mentally remove it I also like the image but not as much. It adds an element to the overall picture. I often have trouble with the ‘lawns’ at the bottom of such compositions but here its tones are subdued and it provides a base that is very beneficial. I’m not a fan of 3:2 vertical but there are several reasons why crops from the top would be detrimental. Well done. Great image imo.

Wonderful David. For the many reasons noted above, this is a wall hanger.

Well that made me wonder, what would it look like as a shorter ratio? Please don’t take it as a serious suggestion, but I see better than I imagine so I took it for a test drive:

Thanks @Tony_Siciliano for your comment. It is unique in Utah to photograph Fall colors without a red rock background.
I certainly appreciate your views on this composition @Han_Schutten. What drew me to this composition was in fact this dead tree and the little bit of orange dead center at the base of it like it was in a rebirth of itself. I also loved the green tree to the left as it had barely even started it’s transition into fall colors while most of the cottonwoods had already reached peak. I love the star beauty of the background and the stark beauty of this tree trunk mixed with vibrant life in between.
@Harley_Goldman, I’ll bet we were there at the same time. I was there from October 22nd until October 29th hiking about 70 miles in those 8 days and after all that hiking, found most of my compositions right off the road. Go figure. I have much more to explore in the area as it 's a huge area but my car is not very off road capable, so I have to hike a lot of it. Would have been great to run into you.
I completely agree @Ed_McGuirk about the aspect ratio. Most of my images were without the “lawn” in the foreground but what I found when I got home to process them, was that this image needed the lawn as a base and I also felt that I needed, or maybe wanted those orange, crest fallen rocks to be a part of the image and I found nowhere that I could crop this and be happy with the composition. Hence, the 3 to 2 aspect ratio. I’m also glad you like the composition. This image was shot during evening blue hour so the light is soft and was quite a warm image but I toned it down to what I remember it looking like.
Thanks @Igor_Doncov. I’m glad that the aspect ratio works for you and that removing any of the frame proves detrimental. Like you, I try not to include “lawns” in my photographs and as I stated earlier in my replies above, most of my images from this spot did not have any lawn in them but they just weren’t right, so I picked an image with the lawn and found that it provided a nice base for the image to sit on.
Love your test drive @John_Williams. Did you use the free transform tool in photoshop as I don’t notice any cropping. You’ve kept all of the details that I think make the image what it is while stretching the image into a much better aspect ratio. I would love to hear how you did this if it wasn’t the free transform tool. Thanks for taking the time to show me this.

I did. I limited it to the background because my personal tastes run towards the foreground being a little larger in the image.

I wouldn’t touch a thing…personally, I like the crop ratio and think that one should always crop to what fits the image best. As to the dead tree, it really sets the scene for its ability to draw the eye into the background without holding it there. Lovely shot.

Superb image IMO. However, I’m used to shooting with my 4/3 camera, so inclined to like @John_Williams crop. Love the colors

David,

Nothing new from me, but I wanted to agree that this is really a wonderful use of warm/cool contrast. I looked at a bottom crop and the 4 x 3 format before I read the other comments and concluded that for me, your original is spot on! Beautifully seen and processed!

Stunning, David. The colours, tones and textures work so beautifully together. I love the way that hoary old tee at the bottom frames the orange leaves. I also considered a crop from the top but what is at the top of the frame is important to the picture so, this is a case for me where 2:3 enhances rather than detracts and I wouldn’t change a thing.

John’s rework is a significant improvement and worth implementing based upon the online view.

Thanks for your comments and feedback @Chris_Calohan, @Michael_Lowe, @Kerry_Gordon, @Alan_Kreyger, @John_Williams. Very appreciative.

This certainly is a wall hanger, David. I love the color palette of warm and cool tones as well as the framing of that character laden dead tree. The lighting is obviously quite nice and those gullies add some nice depth to this lovely image. Beautifully done!

Great - and I like your description of “crest fallen rocks”!

Thanks for your comments @Chris_Calohan , @Ed_Lowe , @Michael_Lowe , @Alan_Kreyger , @Kerry_Gordon , @Mike_Friel . They are always appreciated and helpful. I’m glad that everyone understands my original crop although I think what @John_Williams did was incredible by keeping all the pixels and using the free transform tool to stretch the comp into a 4/3. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’ll bet you took this photo next to a handsome red-head. Hah, I finally signed back up, now I just need to take advantage of what this place offers.

David, Yes you nailed it. Not much to add to the above, but… I wonder how it would look if you lowered the brightness of the “house” or battlement of the gray cliff and raised the brightness of the smaller yellow rocks in the drainages. That bright bulge draws my eye away from those great trees. Brighter yellow curving patterns might draw the eye into the trees which is the main subject. …Maybe… just a possibility to explore. Remember, this is Adult Play. Really nice shot. I know the area and this does it justice.