Cottonwood Tree Roots Cradling River Rocks and Fallen Oak Leaves

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I made this image on Saturday while hiking through a small canyon in Zion NP. There was a huge sandstone cliff behind me that was glowing with reflected light, which it in turn cast onto this scene. However, some parts of the tree roots and the larger stone also reflected the blue sky above, creating an interesting warm/cool combo.

I usually know when an image works and when it doesn’t but with this one, I’m truly on the fence. Processing it was a challenge and I’m not convinced I did it justice. I’d love some raw, honest feedback on the image; composition, processing, colors…all of it.

Creative direction

Not really. I wanted to show the warm/cool contrasts and the softer color palette, as well as the interesting pattern created by the roots and the varied textures throughout. Tried to compose it in such a way that it would all be in harmony. Not sure I succeeded.

Specific Feedback

Please see above

Technical Details

Sony A7IV
Sony 24-105mm lens w/ Breakthrough Filters circular polarizer at 98mm
f/18 @ 1/2 second
ISO 100
Tripod
Processed in Lightroom Classic and Nik Color Efex Pro

Description

I was initially drawn to the river stone wedged into the roots, but I also appreciated the somewhat messy nature of the scene. Fallen leaves scattered about, dimpled sand, a few pine needles. It all felt very raw and natural, and is the kind of scene I think most people would pass without so much as a second glance.

Hi Brett. Those nice reflected colors became more apparent to me as i enlarged the image. I really like the color on the root and its contrast with the rocks. You could maybe get the same elements that you wanted but also emphasize some of that more by cropping it in more toward the center left? I dont think you need to get rid of the sand completely but i think you could have less of it and still retain the same feel of the image.

Thank you, @Cameron_Wilcox. I did shoot another composition with tighter framing. I’ll go back and process it to see if I feel differently about it when the two images are compared side by side.

I hear you about being on the fence. When something strikes me in the field, but then it doesn’t translate to 2D, I get a little bummed. I think that might be what you are reacting to with this photo. There are one or two similar shots in my catalog, too, so I get the appeal and the attraction.

The cool/warm contrast is quite striking as you say and not overly emphasized which would just look weird. The leaves show the scale well and at first I thought this was a much smaller slice. Maybe a way to handle this is to create more tension by cropping square or tilting the roots some to shift the angles. Without an obvious light source, this could add another mystery for the viewer. The light is very soft and enigmatic by itself and the texture in the roots is really great. Emphasizing that might be another way to go. Plenty to play with.

I quite like this intimate landscape, Bret. The processing works just fine for me and I think you were able to strike the perfect balance with the cool and warm tones throughout the scene. For my tastes I could see a little tighter crop, but that is subjective. I hope you don’t mind but here is what I was thinking.

1 Like

I think you did well to convey the warm/cool contrast and pattern of the roots. I agree with the other feedback about the potential of a tighter crop.

I find the thumbnail very appealing but didn’t get back to comment. I love this sort of intimate scene and I think you found a very nice one and did it justice. The light is lovely and I think you could emphasize the blues even a bit more.

My one very small nit is that the bottom edge feels a bit crowded. If there is no more in the original frame, that could be remedied for me by removing the piece of the stone that shows under the branch. That would keep my eye on the stones in the center.

I love the leaves and the subtle oranges against the pinks, offset by blues.

Maybe a slight burn from the top, above the top branch?

Bret, this is an excellent intimate look. I really like how you’ve caught the sinuous nature of the tree roots (in a hostile environment…) and how they cradle those rocks. There’s a lot of detail here, which for me makes a view that takes time to explore. E.g. finding the quartz filled cracks in the largest rock.

Ed, I think you just nailed it. I really like this crop and I think the more simple nature of the composition puts the emphasis where I want it. I have a couple tighter crops to work with and will explore those this afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and cropped version.

@Diane_Miller Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree that the bottom right does feel a little crowded. I think Ed’s crop resolved that issue. Will do some experimenting in LR based on your suggestions and Ed’s crop.

@Mark_Seaver You hit on one of the elements that caught my attention; the quartz filled cracks. I didn’t know that’s what they were, but I found them interesting nonetheless. Appreciate your comments!

@DeanRoyer Thank you for your comment!

@Kris_Smith You’ve eloquently stated what I’ve felt often; that it can be hard to translate these small scenes to a 2D image. That could be what’s happening here. Ed’s crop makes sense to me and it sounds like you were suggesting something similar. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Nice, intimate scene, Bret. The reflected light really makes the image. A nice combo of warm and cool tones. Composition is great with a further refinement by @Ed_Lowe to tighten it up.