Crane Fly

I got interested in Nature photography after attending a seminar by a Nature photographer and saw his (slide Presentation) no digital back then. Seeing dew covered insects got me hooked. This photo taken in a meadow in Ohio that I spent a lot of time looking for dew covered subjects.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
CanonEOS , Macro Lens, Fuji Velvia

2 Likes

I’m impressed, Gerald. Back then you couldn’t just look on the back of the screen to see if everything was sharp. I have yet to capture a dew covered critter, but usually I don’t get to be out that early to look for one either.

I like the diagonal perch he was on, and the nice smooth background. He sure was drenched in dew.

How neat to see a Velvia image after all these years. You found a great subject with a wonderful BG and composed it nicely. I could hope for more DOF but it was probably not easy to be sure you had it covered. (And no metadata to learn from…)

Well done Gerald and thanks for posting something from film days. Lovely subject and bg. I imagine it was all tripod and manual focus work.

Wow, Gerald! Beautiful image! It’s amazing how these little insects can survive being drenched in all that dew!