Creek bed & River red gums

My first post for quite a while and first on the new site. A bit out of practice at both capture and processing so any comments welcome.
This is in the Flinders Ranges of South Australia around 2.30pm, so not exactly magic hour !

Nikon D500
Nikkor 16-85mm @ f/16
1/160th sec
ISO200

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Welcome back to NPN Neale. The processing of exposure, color and contrast look pretty darn good considering that it is almost a mid-day shot. I like the composition, with the trees framing the distant mountains. This “window to the mountains” makes them more prominent than they otherwise would be. My only nitpick is that I would like to see a little more breathing room in the sky above the left tree. Given the mid-day lighting and contrast here, you might want to try a B&W conversion as well.

Hi Neale,
Don’t wish to be negative but I just don’t think the lighting conditions at the time would have made any shot possible in this location.
Is a nice scene with the interesting trees, desert environment with the great colorful mountain range in the back, but the time of day and bright cloudless sky is far too harsh for serious photo taking. My opinion only.

Hi Neale,
I think you did a great job with processing given the time of day, cloudless sky and overall harsh light. Tough to do! The thing I notice is how tight the crop is on the right tree, and above the left tree. Looks like they could use a little breathing room. I like the scene!

Thanks for your comments and opinions , all appreciated.
Here’s another from the same location, same time of day, perhaps a better composition ?

I like the two trees but find light unflattering. Not sure if there’s a monochrome image here or not, but sometimes that can give more emphasis to the subjects when the color/light aren’t the best.

Neale, Welcome to the new NPN! Great to see some members returning and posting again.

I happen to like the deep blue sky as a backdrop for this desert scene. Sure, it’s mid day, but I think you made the best of it.

I prefer the original post in terms of composition, mostly because the mountains are framed nicely and I like the ground, scattered rock anchoring the comp. The second one is good too, although I think the leaning of the trees - keystone effect? And the foreground is less inviting, to me anyway.

Oh, I do wish for a little more room up top onthe original.

Lon

Comparing and contrasting these 2 compositions is really interesting. One is a portrait of 2 trees and the second is more of a landscape. I like all those rocks strewn about and the shadow across them in the landscape. The first image may be a bit stronger composition.

I sort of like the harsh light. It depicts a harsh land. That’s similar to Remington’s paintings of the West. They’re not pretty images but they do convey the nature of the country quite well.