Cresent Moon and Sunset Color Through Turret Arch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one is an oldie from the hard drive. My wife and I flew out to Utah to visit her sister and husband. As this was our first time in Utah I had to make a visit out to Arches NP to see the sights. We hung around for sunset and this was what I came up with. I just waited around until the crescent moon was in a nice position in the arch.

Specific Feedback

I am relatively happy with the image, but sometimes I feel that the blue towards the top might be a little dark. But then again I do like the gradation. Please feel free to share any thoughts you might have.

Technical Details

Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 86mm, f22 @ 1 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

3 Likes

I love this image. The way you framed the colors it looks like you framed the whole transition from day to night into the arch frame. As such I think it works great that the blue is darker at the top as it emphasizes the transition into night. The position of the moon towards the top but not all the way adds another element to this transition. Really nice.

1 Like

There’s a lot to be said for simplicity. I guess they call it minimalism.

1 Like

Ed, the color shift and the crescent moon look great (and very natural). The framing adds interest. It’s not the “usual” view through Turret Arch.

1 Like

Wonderful!! And the moon is such a nice touch! I love the gradient and the subtle color from the light clouds. I think the darkness at the top is just right. There is something about the way it almost blends into the arch that ties things together. It the sky were lighter there I think the top of the arch might feel crowded in the frame.

1 Like

Great Ed!

I dont have a problem with the dark on the top edge, i think it completes the frame in the frame. I also like how youve placed the moon in the photo.

1 Like

A winner for sure to me Ed. I’ve always liked this image for it’s simplicity and graphic nature. I love how you exposed the image to keep the shadows dark to really frame the sky and moon. The gradation in the sky from warm to cool and light to dark is excellent IMHO.
4 Vulcan salutes.
:vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Oh, what a shot, Ed!

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @tamar-aharony, @Igor_Doncov, @Mark_Seaver, @Diane_Miller, @Cameron_Wilcox, @Michael_Lowe and @Shirley_Freeman for taking the time to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image.

2 Likes