Crusher Walking the Beach

Way back in 2004 I posted this image on NPN just after completing my first nature photography trip. Image shot with the old Canon 10D and 100-400 version 1. This is an old image from my first DSLR the Canon 10 d and the 100-400 version 1. Recently I have been playing with Topaz AI Gigapixel upsizing software and decided to revisit this image as it has always been one of my favorites. The originally processed 6 MP image was pretty good, but compared to today’s tech misses the mark by a bit. I asked AI Gigapixel to do a 400% enlargement on the original just about 3000 pixel file to create just over 12,000 pixels. I decided to reprocess from scratch after the upsizing. Back then I had no idea what a RAW file was so this is from a high rez Jpeg.

This is a vertical image, cropped from horizontal.

I must say, I am impressed. That old 6 mp APSC file became a 24 MP APSC file and produced, to my eye a wonderful image at native resolution about 40 inches Horizontal at 300 ppi from which this image was created! The compressed image here does not do the new original file justice.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What do you think of the quality of the upsizing of the old 6 MP file?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and All

Any pertinent technical details:

See above!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is excellent, Ed. The direct eye contact and stare of the beast works nicely, and now that I can see the larger version the details and color look fine. I have a 2007 vintage Olympus E-3 (10MP four thirds), and at 1/4th of full frame sensor size it’s pretty impressive. The lens is the most important component.

Beautiful, Ed. You must have had a very crisp image to start with, but to get this out of a 10D jpeg is pretty amazing. I don’t do a whole lot of printing or upsizing, so I’ve resisted investing in that software, but this is very impressive.

As long as you have this high a quality image to play with, I’d be tempted to add just a touch of canvas on the left as it feels just slightly crowded over there to me.

This looks very impressive ! Terrific frame, great subject and lower POV is making some magic here!
Earlier, when I used to scan my slides, I had a software called ‘Genuine Fractals’ for up sizing the out put, but it was no where near this.
Cheers !

Interesting to hear about this software. I think the details in the face especially look quite good for an upsized image.

Max

Beautiful image and bear, Ed!!! Looks fantastic.

Ed, this is incredible. Very detailed with the adjustments. It captures the finite details well and the additional mp’s add the needed detail without loosing data. Stunning eye capture as well.