Alaska Peninsula Brown Bears

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image from my latest Alaska tour. In the past, I’ve visited in September, but this July/August trip offered up a lot more photo opportunities, thanks to better weather and longer days. I hoped for some clear mornings in which we’d get some nice color to pair with bears, but this mostly-overcast session was actually much more interesting. I loved the pattern in the clouds paired with the reflection. This pano doesn’t quite take advantage of the setting (I prefer a vertical shot I took that really shows off the clouds), but I had some nice subject spacing here that was conducive to horizontal.

(Uploaded a slightly-larger-than-normal file for viewing here, given the image constraints and small subject matter. Also, upon downsizing, there were some halos showing up around the silhouettes, so I basically had to mask out any sharpening around them.)

Max

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 24-70mm
ISO 400
1/1600th
f/8

1 Like

Max, this works very well as a quiet/peaceful viewing of these two bears, in a large, wide-open landscape. The texture in the sky look good and the clouds coordinate well with the distant mountains. The “bookend” gulls are good for a grin.

1 Like

I really like this image, Max. Very serene. Makes me feel like I’m looking at a scene that’s been taking place for thousands of years without a lot of change.

1 Like

How lovely that the bears and sea gulls posed for you. :wink: But really, your framing is super. The one bear going the other direction from the two gulls and large bear is perfect. I think there is plenty of sky. This does have a timeless air, as Dennis said.

1 Like

I copy @Dennis_Plank 's comment.
Great image. I think I could have watched the scene for hours, if I would have been there.

1 Like

All the way around, this is a fantastic image, I would not change a thing. Well done!

1 Like

Congratulations Max :heavy_heart_exclamation:
You have a winner here ! Absolutely stunning and I just love the contrast of movement here !
If this was mine, I may accentuate the orange in sky.
Three Cheers :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Max: this is an absolutely wonderful environmental portrait. It merits a large place on your wall.

1 Like