Over the mountain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was taken on my first day in Katmai National Park., Alaska. I’m always looking to take photos that incorporate landscape on a larger scale in my wildlife photography. We saw this guy in the distance and I took this. Originally there were 2 ridges and sky in the photo but it seemed to create to much when keeping the bear in the frame, off to the crop it went.

For post processing I used the brush to add warmth to the ridge and aid in the backlight on the bear. I left the yellowish/green band as it was to create a leading line, although I wonder if it could have been burnt down a bit.

Specific Feedback

I’m wondering about composition, and is the green yellow band distracting or effective as a leading line. Does the ridge look natural with the back lit bear.

Technical Details

Nikon z8, nikon z 180-600 f5.6-6.3
Shot at 600mm

F6.3 1/1000s ISO 800 -0.7ev

Processed with Lightroom and Photoshop with lightroom denoise applied.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I think your choices were really good here Kristian. I like the crop that emphasizes how far away, and how wide open the landscape is in this image. The bear looks great with your post processing work. I think the foreground ridge gives this a good three dimensional look. I also like the light green strip in back of the bear provides a nice leading line and takes my eye thought the frame. Well done.

Kristain: I thinkyour crop works fine. Without the bright band behind the bear, the bear would be difficult to discern as most of the scene is on the darkish side. There’s a nice implied motion with the left foreleg of the bear being slightly raised.

Great setting & beautiful capture, really liked the atmospheric effect in the BG.
You may go less pano if you like and if you have another frame, where all the four legs are seperate, that would be still better.