Crystal grass

Earlier this year, during one of the few cold days in the southern part of Sweden, I captured this image of some grass frozen into the Rönne creek.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

0.2 sec., f/8, ISO 400, Olympus OM-D E-M1X with 40-150 @ 50 mm (100 mm equiv.), handheld

3 Likes

Amazing image, Ola. I love the ice crystals. Your comp is perfect, placing the bulk of the ice on the right with them thinning out to the left. And it feels like there’s a natural vignette here too.

Wow. This is really different. I guess it’s the color that surprises you the most. It’s a pleasant surprise. It’s the non bright lines and colors that make this image interesting for me.

This is very interesting, Ola. Reminds me of sparkler fireworks. And the BG dark water makes for a great contrast. Well spotted and captured.

So eye-catching! Drama can be found in the smallest places and this is such an energetic shot despite its frozen state. The contrasts and hint of color all keep us focused and interested.

I really like the scene here. On my screen the snow is almost pink, is that just me?
I also feel like parts of it are just slightly overblown, maybe try to dial back the contrast on the snow a bit? Otherwise, it’s a really fun image!

1 Like

Spectacular! An amazing find with wonderful composition! It’s a really small point, but I wonder if there is a bit more detail in the whites, through. Have you tried a linear profile?

@Matt, when I zoom in I see a tinge of blues and magentas in some areas in the frost, but not a lot. When I open the image in PS I get the warning that its color space is ProPhoto and does not match my working space, which is AdobeRGB. (Set that warning in Color Settings.) Posted JPEGs should be converted to sRGB when they are created in order to display colors accurately with most browsers, so you could be seeing inaccurate colors. But I don’t see any difference if I convert to my working space or leave the profile as is. That’s not surprising with the very subtle colors here. It’s also possible that there is an issue with your monitor.

@Matt_Payne, @David_Bostock, @Kris_Smith, @Igor_Doncov, @Diane_Miller and @Mike_Friel thanks for your kind comments.

You are right, I will try to fix it. Diane, I do not know the meaning of “try a linear profile”. Could you kindly explain further?

A linear profile is very low contrast. All the “canned” profiles that are in various raw converters have various degrees of an “S-curve” to boost contrast from what the sensor captured, to boost colors, but that also pushes whites whiter. Tony Kuyper has a good article about them. They are now available for most cameras and if yours isn’t in the list, you can have Tony make one for you. The processing is very simple and straightforward, just using the tonal sliders.

2 Likes

Excellent composition and amazing find.

Thanks @DeanRoyer. Glad you liked the image.

Ola,

Love this! What a great find and even greater capture and presentation. To me, this is the opposite of light radiating out - like sun starts… Here, it is the darkness that is radiating out from the crystals - and creating quite the natural vignette. Of course what helps emphasize this impression are the grasses laid down and frozen beneath the surface.

Very unique and quite beautiful!

Lon

Exactly my thought. I didn’t catch that from the thumbnail, and it was a wonderful surprise to see it larger. This is excellent Ola.

That’s it!

I liked the image but couldn’t figure out how to explain. It’s the colors (warmer) of the ice crystals and cooler colours of the surrounding ice with water underneath.

Love the small speckling of snow on the ice as well.

Well done

@Lon_Overacker, @John_Williams and @andronik thanks for your kind comments.

… or maybe the opposite, sucking up all the light and leaving only darkness and emptiness:)

1 Like