Cuchara river valley storm 2019 - REPOST

Twenty years passed between visits to this spot. In that time, it looks like nobody discovered it, much to my benefit. It’s rather off the beaten track. My kinda spot.

As I pulled up to the campsite about 50 yards away from this overlook, I quickly gathered my gear. I didn’t know if I would get driven away by rain so I made haste. It’s often difficult for me to find an acceptable composition with such a large landscape. The storm was an ominous compositional element and the landscape was dark as it swept out in front of me. I was fortunate to snap several releases of the shutter before other responsibilities of arriving at camp called me away. Luckily, I got a few good ones. This image is one frame.

When I convert to black and white, the image is one abstraction from reality. Then the fun begins, dodging and burning to express the landscape in a unique way. The result is more imaginative than representational.

Do you prefer imaginative or representational images of landscapes?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all related or unrelated. If images of landscapes that are clearly removed from reality give you an emotional response, let me know. I love this kind of discussion.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

nikon d610 dslr
nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 @ 31mm lens
8 sec
ISO 100
f/5.6

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Lancaster, I love the monochromatic conversion. I would prefer a cropped version on the left part of the image because i think that the most interesting part of the image is in the left. Really good shot. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I really like the dramatic look and mood, but this one looks quite blocked up in the shadows for me and overall too dark. I would consider cropping off close to 50% off the right and maybe a little off the bottom, making the image all about the shaft of light in the distance. Doing that makes the dark presentation work quite well for me.

1 Like

Very dramatic, for sure. I’m in agreement with Massimo and Harley on the crop. All the interest is in the left half. And that half is quite spectacular. The angle of the shaft of light and bottom of the clouds is quite dynamic.

1 Like

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman, @Bonnie_Lampley, @masdamb for your comments. I thought the foreground elements on the right side were valuable for depth and detail and I really liked the volume of the clouds in the original image but I’ve jumped into the crop and reposted up top. It focuses directly on the light in the valley rather than the big sky of the previous version.

Harley, please let me know if the crop works to diminish the darkness and any other impressions.

Coming from the 4x5 chrome film old school, I am used to dark areas and the ones here work well for me. They are framing elements to my eye. The crop was very effective and now the image is completely about the great light out in the valley and the dark areas take my attention there.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it. Thanks for your contributions!

Matt, your rework based on @Harley_Goldman suggestion really nails it for me. The crop distills this image down to the key elements, and areas of light and shadow. It’s interesting that you mentioned having imaginative vs. representational images of landscapes. In your original post I think your inclusion of the tree reflects a significant representational element, while the left 2/3’s of the image was clearly a more imaginative portrayal of the landscape (especially with the dark B&W treatment). To me the more representational aspect of the tree dilutes the imaginative impact of the rest of the image. In the rework you make a clear “imaginative” statement, and this makes for a much more powerful image to me. The rework looks awesome, really nice work :+1: :+1: :+1:

But back to your “prefer imaginative or representational image” question. I like doing both, but B&W is clearly where imaginative images can shine if done well. I do see the value in representational images, and think they too can have impact. But I derive more satisfaction from making and viewing imaginative images that convey strong emotions. Like your image here.

1 Like

Oh wow, the rework is superb, Matt. I agree that losing that tree really brings out the “potential” in the image. My minor point is about a darker cloud near the horizon on the right edge of the rework. I would clone that out as it looks like a dust bunny right now.

I love what you call “imaginative” photography. I personally don’t really care for a record shot of a scene. I think as an art form, photography has to lift up the mind to something greater (or lesser?). I read about Plato’s Theory of Forms recently and it struck me that perhaps this is what art is all about, as a bridge between matters and forms.

1 Like

Matt, this rework of the image is excellent. It is much simple and draws my eye right into the light that the image is about.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk, Glad to know you like this crop. Your explanation about the tree as a representational element in an imaginative image makes great sense in a way I hadn’t thought about before so thanks for sharing that insight. I’m going to give it more practice. And like you, I think B&W has immense power to transform the perception to an imaginative place. I appreciate your comments very much.

@Adhika_Lie, I’ve tried before to figure out what to call my images that are removed from realistic representation. “Imaginative” photography just came to mind as I was writing without any deliberate attempt to give it a name, but I think I like it. Glad you do, too. I really appreciate your comments and insights on photography as an art form because I agree that it has tremendous potential to elevate a consciousness about it’s subjects. Your reference to Plato’s Theory of Forms is very intriguing and new to me. I’m very honored my image brought it to mind. Thanks for your compliments. I’m grateful.

@Larry_Greenbaum, I appreciate your kind words and agree that the image’s simplicity is now evident and subject is clear. Thank you.