Cucumber Falls

Wet, muddy, cold, and cramped. That’s “what it was like”.

Cucumber Falls is over a ledge of Pottsville Sandstone. Although it is sandstone, it’s a very hard rock. However, softer rock layers below easily erode creating cave-like openings under the sandstone ledge.

Over time, the sandstone cantilever can’t support the weight and blocks fall into the plunge pool. An example is just to the right of the bottom of the falls.

The photo was taken from inside the overhang cave.

Specific Feedback Requested

My intent of this image is to display the falls from a different point of view. It’s one of the most photographed waterfall in southwest PA and most are from a point facing the water. I wanted to show the falls, as well as the geologic setting.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This is an eight image panorama stitched together with LR. It covers nearly 180 degrees from edge to edge.

3 Likes

Hey @paul_g_wiegman

I like the way you framed the image, the cave made a great auxiliary frame to guide the viewer.
The light is great to me, all around the image, even in the inners of the cave.
If i could change anything would be to crop on the right, or burn that warmer brown path, its right on the edge and diverts a bit of attention from te beautiful green forest and that lovely waterfall.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

1 Like

The framing is great. Like Joao, I would recommend working on that reddish/warmer brown spot on the right edge about 1/5 of the way up. Desaturating or cooling it down a little bit will make it less of an eye magnet. If you could reshoot this, would be nice to get a smoother waterfall.

1 Like

Paul, you’re framing looks great. The burst of green and the white of the falls pops out from the dark cave very nicely.

1 Like

Good for you for trying something different. It works terrifically. The geology is part of the story of the falls and it’s important to show that as well as the water. The warmer bit doesn’t bother me, but I think it looks a little muddy…maybe it was the light, but lifting the mid-tones might bring some sparkle if you so desire.

1 Like

Thank you @João_Ferrão @Mark_Seaver @Adhika_Lie @_Kris ;

I’ll give your suggestions a try. I can reshoot for a smoother water texture. Unfortunately, there is very little water in Cucumber Run during the summer and fall, and the stream is just a thin line. On the other hand, it’s torrent and hard to reach the best spot in the cave after heavy rain.

What a cool idea for a waterfall composition. I like it. And it solves the problem of a bright sky, something we’re always battling.