Curl

After Edit

Original

What to do on a cold rainy day when you don’t want to slog through the mud? Stay inside and photograph house plants! This is my bird’s nest fern. I loved the curl of this particular leaf. Taken with natural window light.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all honest and constructive critiques are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Is this a composite: No
Camera: Fujifilm X-T3
Lens: Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

ISO: 80
Focal Length: 65mm
Aperture: f/16
Shutter: 0.7 s

Focus stacked using Helicon Focus.

adam.klaum
2 Likes

Very nice! I really like the tonalities and the shapes. I’ll bet you could spend a lot of time on this plant! I’m wondering if a gradient burn from the LL would be interesting.

I hope the white flecks aren’t some kind of insect. (In my house, they would be!)

Thanks Diane! I zoomed in really far on the original and I don’t think they are bugs. Just some interesting dust or plant matter maybe? I added a diagonal burn using a linear gradient. It does seem to make it more interesting I think. I took out the specks as well :slight_smile: Let me know what you think.

That works for me!! It keeps my eye on the tip of the leaf. I think burning edges or corners can often be a powerful tool.

Adam: Well seen and a fine conversion. I think I do prefer the cleaned up version. Very nicely done. >=))>

The cleaned up version has me marveling at the light and the texture of the leaf, not what the little white bits are. A marvelous thing we have in digital editing.

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @_Kris ! The spot healing tool truly is a wonder :slight_smile: Glad you like the new version.