Bird's nest

Love watching this Bird’s nest fern when new frond is emerging. A week or so ago, it started this new frond, the light was perfect and I knew I had to try for an image.

I had been working with it for a bit when I saw @Kerry_Gordon’s post “Labryinths” where he had mentioned using the TK panel web sharpening. After failing miserably several times, I contacted Kerry, who was a great help and very patient with me. Thanks again Kerry.

I’ve cropped, toned down the highlights and sharpened the emerging frond. The used the TK panel to do the web sharpening.

Nikon D7200, f/9, 1/6sec., iso 320 @105mm, tripod and remote release.

Truly appreciate any thoughts, comments and/or suggestions on the lighting, composition or anything.
thanks

3 Likes

This square crop works perfectly. Outstanding image. I love the dark diagonals juxtaposed to the beautifully lit spiral. There is a lot going on but my eye stays with the spiral.

I really like this one! Great shapes and lines and color and the shallow DOF works great. Beautifully crafted.

Thanks so much, @Harley_Goldman and @Kerry_Gordon appreciate your kind thoughts. And, Kerry, for guiding me through TK panels. . .still have much to learn, just bit by bit.

Linda: A wonderful find and a superb capture and presentation. Exceptionally good work. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Linda, this is really pleasing to the eye. The shades of green with the darker browns, lines, shapes, it all comes together for a great image. It was worth the time you spent on it.

What an interesting image Linda. Beautifully composed with the square crop. Without those darker diagonal stripes, this image would not be as interesting to me. You had very soft light making for an even exposure and your shallow depth of field really works it’s magic here. Well composed and seen as I’m sure this is a tiny scene most would not notice.

Thanks, @Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman and @David_Haynes for stopping by and for your kind thoughts.

1 Like

A pleasing composition Linda …well done
Balan Vinod

Thank you so much for the Editor’s Pick. :heart:

1 Like

Super shot, Linda. Your choice of border and angle work so well too. Congratulations!

Thanks also to @Kris_Smith, @MichaelPower, @Ola_Jovall and @Bill_Pelzmann for the :heart: & :+1:

1 Like

Linda, fern “fiddleheads” are very interesting. You’ve done very well here with the shape contrast between the linear bits and the nice tight curl. I also like the bits of “fuzz” along the edge of the new leaf as it angles out of the corner.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver. I appreciate your thoughts and perspectives.