Fleeting impressions

While out looking for maiden hair fern, a very rare fern in NH, I found this little abstract. Mainly it’s the shadow of an unfurling fern on an oak leaf, but there are little bits of debris and a hole in the leaf that complicate matters. I kind of like it for that reason. Plus the idea of the fern without its direct presence in the shot.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too weird? Shadows not obvious enough?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and possibly CPL, but I can’t recall.

Lightroom for basic RAW processing, a 16:9 crop to emphasize lines and the B&W conversion. It needed some texture and clarity and sharpening, too. Photoshop to remove a few things on the edges that were distracting.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Love, love, love, love this. I can see another version without that rock. But it is just a different image. This is awesome.

Fantastic shadow of the fern!! I’m not sure I love the hole in the leaf, with another leaf showing under it. Maybe burn it down a bit? But a wonderful find!!

Kris, the mix of patterns works very well. The darkness of the hole in the leaf and it’s location in the frame makes it a major player, some dodging of the dark edges should reduce it’s influence.

Thanks @Adhika_Lie, @Diane_Miller & @Mark_Seaver - I knew the hole in the leaf would be something people have an opinion about. One says dodge it, one says burn. I can play with it and see what works.