Curves made by wind

What makes this image expressive?

The patterns of the lines in this piece of the sand drift tooks my attention after the sunrise I find this during my walk thru this national park, but as photographer you cannot always choose the best light, for that reaason i was more looking for structure and colours in this

Specific Feedback Requested

What you find from photography when the light is not in your hands by bright sunlight after a nice sunrise morning with ground fog.

1 Like

A warm welcome to NPN Henk. People talk a lot about photographs telling stories, and many of them do not. This one does.

1: The tracks in the sand show of the insects and animals that inhabit this environment. This is their home and not just a playground for humans. Some people see tracks as imperfections, and I am pleased you have not cloned them out. Secondly, you show more of the environment, the heather and the trees, the sunshine and of course the beautiful foreground.

I am one of those photographers that does not hunt for great light; I get out when I can, and am grateful for what is there when I get there. Most of all I like to photograph what speaks to me; whether this is great light, foggy atmosphere, strong shapes, patterns or contrasts. Even colourful combinations can excite me at times.

The thing I admire about photographs like this, given you could have shared anything with me, is its honesty. I see an amazing wind-carved foreground, the nocturnal tracks of resident wildlife, and the broader landscape of the environment.

I don’t believe you need my advice on what to shoot when the light may be “past its best!” - as I believe what you have shared is insightful, honest and shows a deep love for nature and the environments. All of which need protected.

Thanks again for sharing.

Much appreciated Allister, and congrats with the book

1 Like

Thanks so much, I appreciate that.

1 Like

Henk, welcome to NPN, this is a great start. Having taught tracking workshops, I’m totally delighted by the multiple sets of tracks along with the fine ripples in the sand. That background is why I (and it’s definitely personal) would crop this just above the nice, red heather clump. That would emphasize the tracks and the sand. As for the tracks, I see; 1) a rabbit, hopping from bottom middle to middle left edge; 2) some kind of amphibian (guessing from the environment that I see here, a toad); 3) A lizard (or maybe grasshopper) crossing the rabbit tracks, where a close look would tell you who passed through first; and 4) a beetle walking along near the right edge. What a great collections of tracks and stories of the animals who made them. Ignoring my crop suggestion, this is a very pleasant scene that definitely invites the viewer to stop a while and enjoy the location.

1 Like

thanks Mark, really likes your comment, I will say something about my editing works, I work mostly in Adobe Lightroom, to keep my image as natural as they are, for that I crop not that much or over editing my images in that sense.

1 Like