Cutie Cootie

This was taken on the day Dennis Plank and I went down to that wildlife refuge in the Southwest Washington region. I like the water. This is actually good weather for photographing Coots since their plumage is so reflective and shows off too many highlights in the bright sun.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The little coot is steaming off somewhere. I like the nice reflection and especially the neck. It is so continuous on that soft curve. Well exposed. I might look at just a bit of lightening in and around the eye area. It is a very typical environment for them.

Excellent detail and you got some nice clear water for this shot, David. I do like the appearance of the water as you mentioned. To my eye, the image didn’t look quite level. I downloaded it and put it into PS, then used the leveling tool in the crop menu and drew a line connecting the tip of the beak with the same point in it’s reflection (they should form a vertical line if it’s straight). It tuned out to be off a bit and I’ve attached the straightened version that PS gave me. I didn’t put back any canvas, so it’s a tighter crop.

The grasses in the BG were my reference point. The coot was swimming at an angle. I guess I don’t have a problem with that but I am aware some people do. To me, even though the water seems flat, one still needs to account for the angle of travel. I also have the advantage of having the whole frame as a reference.

I like the water as well. Nice reflection and good detail in the Coot.