Cycle of Life 2

I came across this scene last September in Washington’s Cascade Mtns. The exposure was a mess with blown-out spots, but I patched and grouted a lot. HDR or CPL should have been employed.
I thought that this small scene shows a lot going on … just very quietly over a long period of time.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIII EF100mm f2.8 1/100 f5.6

1 Like

These scenes always stop me in my tracks, too. I like the slice of stump as backdrop for that lovely arc of plants, oh and the dark bg, too. It looks a bit subdued though and maybe adding some highlights back in will help. Also some of the small plants on top look strange - a combo of reduced exposure/highs and possibly dialing down color luminance? Either way it looks a little strong. Dappled sunlight on forest floors is tough to manage - I agree about the CPL or possible HDR solution, but dappled has highs and lows naturally so maybe let them show a little more. Just my suggestions based on many, many years in the woods.

Nice. Just the right DOF to give some nice separation between the subject and the OOF BG.

Fascinating scene because of the associations you make the plants on the stump. To me they look like a group of people ready to perform. A chorus line? I feel so strong about that that I would crop out the fern and below it. That’s just my take. But I really like it and it is intriguing.

Well seen! Beautiful light, excellent framing, and just the right amount of depth of field.

Very well done Dick. This image to me is all about the light, and the light is gorgeous, making the rich colors really sing. You have a good composition, and a nice non-intrusive background. What more could you ask for?