Cypress - Leaves of Sky

It’s already been nearly 3 weeks since our little get together at Point Reyes. I’m still sifting through images and it seems I was in ICM mode more often than not… While Tony and Diane were working the classic “Cypress tunnel” I seemed to find interest in the individual cypress trees - which in their natural state are wonderful trees to photograph! And this ICM is more towards the recognizable side as it’s fairly obvious (?) that this is a tree?

I really like the natural texture and patterns in the trunks, but with some movement (vertical with a little horizontal at the end) I liked how the sky was rendered breaking through the branches and leaves.

Not completely sure about this one, although I thought it was a bit different from what I’d been posting so wanted to share.

Specific Feedback Requested

Always welcome your feedback, thoughts and comments. I’m especially interested to learn if this does anything for anyone? I left space on both sides to insure the subject would be seen as a tree.
How does this come together as a whole? Oh, and of course colors and processing feedback welcome!

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @28mm, f/18 1/4 iso 71, polarizer to keep ss down.

3 Likes

Wow Lon, I find this simply stunning. The palette is wonderful especially the blues that move into lighter tones toward the base of the tree. The darker patches on the mid-trunks are important and break the overall symmetry of colour moving upward along the longer section of trunk, and the crossing of the trunk sections on the RHS effectively pulled my view back into the tree when I looked right.

1 Like

Oh Lon, I love this shot! My favorite ICMs are trees where you can recognize them as trees. I can certainly recognize it as a tree. The texture and pattens you see on the truck and the sky swishing across the top of the limbs really adds interest. I think that little horizontal movement at the end was a great move. I love the colors also. One of my favorites of yours! Great job.

1 Like

Wonderfully wispy feel to this one, Lon. It has great energy and movement. Very nicely seen.

Very playful image that brought a smile to my face Lon. I’m loving the wispy motion and thank you for including the base of the tree as it helps to “anchor” the frame. The earthy tones mixed with the blues work for me too.

Was almost remiss in thanking everyone for their comments and kind words!

Much appreciated @Phil_G , @Donna_Callais , @linda_mellor and @Alfredo_Mora !

1 Like