Cypress Swamp Sunset with Osprey

Image:

Description:

I just returned from a trip to a cypress swamp in northwest Tennessee. The osprey were nesting in some of the cypress trees. Here is a sunset scene with an osprey bringing in a fish to the nest.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Would like feedback on

• the negative space I included on the left where the tree is leaning
  • halo around the sun
  • anything else

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D mark II, 24-105L f4, hand held from boat
ISO 100, f5, 1/1600s

1 Like

Oh how cool. I have a shot like this with a kayaker in it, but this is so much more unpredictable and dynamic. I like the negative space because many cypresses are alone like this, but a flip might make it even more compelling since I read right to left. But for those who don’t this probably has more impact.

The halo looks like it was produced by the atmosphere, so what can you do? I guess if you feel strongly you can fix it.

Color and sharpness look good. It’s such a special moment. I can imagine what it was like, although you were probably in a bigger boat and didn’t have to paddle back, LOL.

I absolutely love this, Allen! What a great moment you captured. The colors are beautiful and so peaceful and calming. The osprey coming home with dinner at the end of a long day has such a relatable, calming feeling to it. Well done!

Allen,

Wow! What a special moment you’ve captured - what photography is most about - “moments in time.” What a great thing to have experienced - and kudos for having the presence of mind to snap the shutter! Congrats and a fantastic nature image!

To your question(s). I’m torn on the negative space. My first reaction was to crop and tighten to a nice vertical, which I think would work nicely. Then after reading comments and thinking, I think the composition works quite nicely as presented - especially given how the cypress opens up to the left and seemingly reaching out to that space.

Not bothered by what little halo I can observe around the sun. What I noticed more is what looks like a very faint lens flare remnant at about the 10 o’clock position from the sun and on the other side of the lower branch. Very faint, but something I picked up on.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing. Just enjoying this one tremendously!

Lon

I agree with @Lon_Overacker about the cropping question. I did think we should see that osprey larger, but then I realized it’s such an excellent capture, you’ll probably blow it up and everyone will immediately spot the osprey’s supper, as Vanessa did! I imagine it’s coming in to land on the tree, and that just makes the story even better. A stunning shot!

A very beautiful image and the bird makes it extra special so great job on capturing it.
I wouldn’t worry about the halo around the sun. To me, the image looks natural. I also don’t mind the negative space on the left side. The way the tree leans balances it out IMO. Of course, a square crop with just the tree, sun and bird might be equally effective.

1 Like

Allen, what a special moment that you’ve captured here. I really like the silhouette look. I like your original comp, but I also like @Tom_Nevesely’s crop. Both work equally well.

Ditto to the many comments - it is a special moment and you really nailed the osprey at the perfect distance from the tree. I like Tom’s idea of cropping but I’m wondering if a 4:5 crop from the left might work even better by giving the image a bit more breathing room and acknowledging the strong horizontal line of the shore. I prefer a crop because there are already such strong elements to this image - the tree, the sun, it’s reflection, the osprey , and the shore itself - that too much negative space feels like it dilutes it a bit. In any case, I have to say, I envy you the moment.

Allen, this is a great scene. This must have been breathtaking to witness. I played around with some crops, but in the end, I like your original. It gives the tree, sun, and osprey room to breath. Cropping in more felt like it was taking away the grandness of the scene to me. Nice work!

Another vote for the square crop.

Superb moment you captured here, Allen. I have no nits at all except the one that @Lon_Overacker pointed out where there is a lens flare just above the lowest branch on the left side of the tree. There might be some purple fringing as well around the tree but it could also be mt work computer screen. Take it for what it’s worth. I love the leaning tree and the open space to the left of the tree and think that a 4:5 crop might also work, but I do love the way you’ve presented it here.
What a great moment in time .

Fantastic!!! Wonderful tree, perfect catch of the osprey, with wonderful placement of the sun and the reflection. The color gradient in the sky is gorgeous. The tiny halo around sun is just fine for me – it looks natural. Wonderful composition but I would consider just a bit removed from the left. There is a tiny halo, most obvious on the osprey, possibly from the JPEG conversion. It looks like the original was nicely sharp and probably doesn’t need any sharpening, but as far as I know, JPEG conversion is going to do its own thing without asking permission.