NC Cypress Sunset

This image was taken on a photography trip to photograph overwintering birds. I stayed at this State Park and got to enjoy sitting on the shoreline to take this image

Self Critique (click to reveal)

Technical Details

This is a single shot at F11, 1/15sec, ISO 100. edited in LR

Hey! I actually have a similar location near me and I think you’ve done an excellent job capturing this place. The composition is nice and the silhouette effect is solid. Have you tried longer exposures here to smooth the water even more? I’ve found it’s a great effect on cypress swamps and sunrise/sunset.

1 Like

Thak you! I dident even look at the water in the background. I was focused on the foregroud. Thank you for the input and I will revit the site soon and see how it turns out

Hi Nelson - this is a beautiful, calming scene. I love the lavender tones, with that strip of golden light along the horizon. Were you looking for specific feedback?

1 Like

I feel peace at the end of the day, Nelson. I think the comp is quite nice. Leaving the trees mostly silhouetted is a nice touch too. I’m not sure what you were going for conceptually, but for me this does indeed convey that feeling of peaceful twilight. Well done.

No, just general thoughts and suggestions if any. Thank you

Thanks, David. I was hoping to show a nice quiet even sitting on the lake shore. I also want to show people a little behind the scenes of the life of a photographer on a photo trip. I was in the area to photograph overwintering birds and this was just part of the trip

You succeeded in that, for sure. As far as feedback, we asked what you were trying to convey because that makes it easier to give feedback - we can gauge whether we think you you conveyed what you intended. If you put a couple words in the “self critique” section, that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on! I always have to go back two or three times haha