Dancing at Sunset

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This was one of my first exercises in backlit photography. I love the way the weed stalk and leaves curve and dance.

EDITED:

Needs to be seen large. Nice tonality in this one. Well composed.

1 Like

Beautiful glow and great detail in the pods Mark. I agree with @David_Schoen, this is spectacular close up. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Beautiful light and overall image. I find my attention pulled by the brighter OOF leaves and I am not quite sure if that is detrimental or not. I might burn those down and compare? No other thoughts, looks real nice.

1 Like

Hi Mark, I agree with the others, beautiful monotone image; dancing is a good description, and I would also use delicate for the leaves. I do wonder what a B&W conversion would look like, though I’d miss the rich sepia-like color.

Mark, the seed heads are spread well through the frame and the near match of colors with the background looks great. I too think that a bit more brightness separation between the in focus heads and the oof heads in the lower half of the frame would be good.

@Mark_Seaver, @David_Schoen, @linda_mellor, @Jim_Lockhart, @Harley_Goldman… Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. I agree that the background white leaves are distracting. I tried a radial filter to darken the entire background, and also an adjustment brush for just the brightest leaves, but the background leaves didn’t look natural anymore. I went ahead and posted an edit of a similar photo, this time cropped and also B&W, plus some darkening of the background. Fun to compare. Thanks again for all your ideas

Mark: Great subject and a fine capture. I do like your DOF choice. The conversion looks good too. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like